Honored Contributor

I do intermittent fasting but I didn’t even know there was a name for this until a few years ago. Usually 16 hours but I’m not religious about it and if I need to eat after 14-15 hours some days I do. 

I eat a lot of veggies 12+ a day

1-2 fruits a day 

2-3 servings of grain a day  

4 servings of meat per WEEK. Free range, organic poultry. I don’t eat red meat. 

Liberal fats (butter, cheese, kefir, some cream (if needed for a recipe)

I’m not a huge sweets fan but I’ll have gelato or a make cookies made from almond flour and stevia, cocoa, dark chocolate etc. 

I love Smartsweets gummy candies sweetened with stevia and they have a vegan version too. Lots of fiber, delicious and only 90 calories a bag. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Metabolism...

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I do intermittent fasting but I didn’t even know there was a name for this until a few years ago. Usually 16 hours but I’m not religious about it and if I need to eat after 14-15 hours some days I do. 

1-2 fruits a day 

I’m not a huge sweets fan but I’ll have gelato or a make cookies made from almond flour and stevia, cocoa, dark chocolate etc. 

I love Smartsweets gummy candies sweetened with stevia and they have a vegan version too. Lots of fiber, delicious and only 90 calories a bag. 

@GenXmuse   

We eat fairly similar to you with just a few differences...we even do the intermittent fasting like you! We found out about that by way of one of Dr Ken Berry's videos Smiley Happy

We do have red meat...but also have lots of chicken, turkey & fish/seafood.

As for 'grains' we only incorporate having a bowl of oatmeal about once in every 7-10 days for lunch. When we make sandwiches for lunch, it's with sprouted flaxseed bread.

No other cereals or breads.

And we make many things with almond flour and share a Lily's chocolate candy bar once in awhile. I've made some wonderful chocolate chip cookies using a ketoconnect recipe. They also have a great recipe for almond biscotti. When I'm lazy, we'll take a package out of the freezer of the FatSnax brand cookies...LOL 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

1-2 fruits a day 

@GenXmuse 

If I ate that much each day and threw in a gelato and cookies, on occasion? I would be back to my "fat boy teen days" in a hurry, even with my strict and regular high intensity exercising. 

Doesn't appear to me you have a slow metabolism, mine must be at a stand still in comparison.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@sidsmom , well fudge...no peanutbutter!!..

Sleep is no problem go to bed and get up the same time 6 days a week..8 hours every night, and 3-4 times a week I eat a salad (greens only, no meat, cheese, etc) for lunch...but I also have a breadstick with the salad (do I have to stop the breadstick?).

Water...that is the problem, 1 glass a day with my vitamins, the rest of the day, coffee is my drink of choice, until summer hits and I drink ice tea...NO SUGAR.

Only 1 glass of water?  Hmmmm.  I think you need more water than that.

I was never a big water drinker either.  I was lucky if I drank 3 of the 16.9oz bottles of water a day.  And I used to think that was a lot.  Then I made myself up it to 4 and thought that was a lot.

I began having UTI issues and when I saw my doctor we got on the subject of water and I told her I drank A LOT. She asked what a lot was and I told her about 68oz a day and she informed me that is not a lot.  She said we should all be drinking a minimum of 100 oz of water a day and that is if we have a sedentary lifestyle.  If you are an exerciser, it should be more. 

I started to force myself to drink that 100 oz a day and at first it was a struggle but now it's really second nature and not hard at all, most day. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D ...that is great news for me...coffee is my drink of choice, but I am trying to drink more water....2 -8 ounce glasses so far today!

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva , holy smokes, that is a lot of water...I am trying to drink more, I have to force myself to drink.

Honored Contributor

Don't know if I have said this,but John Stossel says you make yourself fat.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mindy D ...that is great news for me...coffee is my drink of choice, but I am trying to drink more water....2 -8 ounce glasses so far today!

@Mom2Dogs 

That's  a good start. Skating days I drink half gallon at the rink in 2 hours. Hydrate well before I head out on skating days.

Much harder ice skating than running because more muscle groups involved. Takes core muscle to kept you Balanced and all front side muscles from your feet to your head. Looks easy to onlookers watching good skaters, very deceiving. 

Keep drinking now, eh!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

1-2 fruits a day 

I just read about this intermittent fasting myself about a year ago and thought that it is what I do myself for years now.  Had no ideal it is a thing just something I have always done @GenXmuse.  I have no appetite when I wake or for hours and do not want to fee bogged down sluggish in the afternoon so just a very small lunch.  Dinner, love it!!!!!!!  Exercise daily and metabolism works well.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

1-2 fruits a day 

I just read about this intermittent fasting myself about a year ago and thought that it is what I do myself for years now.  Had no ideal it is a thing just something I have always done @GenXmuse.  I have no appetite when I wake or for hours and do not want to fee bogged down sluggish in the afternoon so just a very small lunch.  Dinner, love it!!!!!!!  Exercise daily and metabolism works well.

Same here! I just never feel like eating breakfast and I don’t force myself even though everyone says it’s a misstep in weight control but so is eating when you’re not hungry. 

I guess our biorhythms are just set differently! I’m with you on dinner. Love it too!