Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Also, you have to ensure that your diet includes enough protein.

@chrystaltree 

Why is that?

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

OK, do not bite my head off, it's a question!!!

Is there a supplement that will  'HELP' boost metabolism or is it exercise and food that does the trick.  The 10 lbs I have been wanting to loose is still hanging on and even tho clothes that I unpacked for summer wearing fit, a few pounds less would be nice.

yes there are supplements but they are probably risky. Some of them contain large amounts of caffeine.  My suggestion to lose the last few pounds is to stop doing whatever you're doing. Your body is not responding even to restricted calories. There are a few tricks you can try like increasing lean protein and decreasing carbs will work especially if you are carb sensitive. Carbs also retain water in a 1 to 3 ratio.  You can try limiting your meals to fewer hours a day. I eat between 8 am and 3 pm then nothing afterwards. It gives the body an extended period of time in which to burn fat. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Why is that?

It does now.  AT 59, losing weight is hard for me and my goal is only to lose 1lb a week.  It wasn't happening the way I was eating which would have been in weight loss mode for most women.  It's how I lost weight in the past.  I emailed my one month food diary to my endocrinologist and asked him why I'd maintained my weight but hadn't lost a single pound.  He emailed me back and suggested I drink 3-4 of the protein shakes he recommends and that I walk briskly for a minimum of 40 minutes a day.  Leisurely strolls do not lead to weight loss.  He suggested 2, 20 minute walks every day.  That week we were in FL (with the amazing weather), I did all of that and lost 3lbs.  I came back home and did do all that walking and I'm averaging 1/2 pound weight loss a week.  Meaning I am down 1 1/2 lbs since FL.  So, I needed that protein to kick me into weight loss mode.  Interestingly, those protein shakes actually added 300-400 calories a day to what I was eating.   

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Is there a supplement that will  'HELP' boost metabolism or is it exercise and food that does the trick.  The 10 lbs I have been wanting to loose is still hanging on and even tho clothes that I unpacked for summer wearing fit, a few pounds less would be nice.

Once you get moving outside in the nicer weather you may find those pounds will come off.  Sadly no supplement will help - if there was one, we all would be taking it and have not need to loose weight lol.  

I have a few friends who have had good luck with periodic fasting as another poster suggested.  They only eat during a certain time period each day, ie only eating btw 11am and 5 PM.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Why is that?

It does now.  AT 59, losing weight is hard for me and my goal is only to lose 1lb a week.  It wasn't happening the way I was eating which would have been in weight loss mode for most women.  It's how I lost weight in the past.  I emailed my one month food diary to my endocrinologist and asked him why I'd maintained my weight but hadn't lost a single pound.  He emailed me back and suggested I drink 3-4 of the protein shakes he recommends and that I walk briskly for a minimum of 40 minutes a day.  Leisurely strolls do not lead to weight loss.  He suggested 2, 20 minute walks every day.  That week we were in FL (with the amazing weather), I did all of that and lost 3lbs.  I came back home and did do all that walking and I'm averaging 1/2 pound weight loss a week.  Meaning I am down 1 1/2 lbs since FL.  So, I needed that protein to kick me into weight loss mode.  Interestingly, those protein shakes actually added 300-400 calories a day to what I was eating.   

So it was probably the increased activity & additional calories.

There’s no science behind the increase macro of ‘protein’

but it is a good marketing tactic. 

Honored Contributor

Shortly after I quit smoking I gained weight. I really didn't know exactly where to start regarding trying to lose the weight. So I did it by doing a few things, not just one thing, and those included eating less, eating healthy and increasing my physical activity. For me that worked. Sometimes it's the combination of things together that helps us get to where we need to go.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @try a low carb eating plan and break your walks up into a leasttwo a day..morning and after dinner.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Mom2Dogs @try a low carb eating plan and break your walks up into a leasttwo a day..morning and after dinner.

And walk briskly.  There was an article online about walking for weight loss.  You can't stroll, you have to walk briskly.  They say fast enough that you are slightly out of breath and can't carry on a conversation with someone.  

Honored Contributor

As long as my husband is not with me, I get in a good brisk walk...he does not walk fast enough for me when it comes to exercise.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

COFFEE will speed up your metabolism.