Respected Contributor

I would urge anyone who believes they are having suicidal thoughts to speak to someone you trust. If you have no one you can trust, then call a suicide hot line to receive help.If anyone you know tells you they are in distress or having suicidal thoughts, don't dismiss them. Listen to them and help them to find help.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mental Health

[ Edited ]

It's appropriate to advise anyone to call a suicide hotline if they might harm them self.

It's extra helpful to provide a number.

No matter where you are in the USA, you can call this number for free help. 

1-800-273-8255. National Suicide Hotline

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal Thanks, one of my best friends and my sister-in-law each lost a brother to suicide.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the information.  So many are suffering, especially children and young adults.  I am not minimizing that adults are also experiencing tremendous.  Post-partum depression can be especially debilitating for some.  Unfortunately, there are not enough clinicians available to meet the needs so many people  seeking professional support.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mental Health

[ Edited ]

I lost my sister to suicide when she was just 34 y/o. There were no signs of her having these thoughts. We went out to dinner a couple of times that week and celebrated her birthday.

If she had these thoughts or was depressed, she was very good at hiding it.

It's hard to tell your nephews that their Mom won't ne there anymore.

She and I were good friends and I miss her still. My youngest daughter looks a like her.

Honored Contributor

Whether someone is depressed or not, any change in behavior or routine could be a call for help,

Depression is not a sign of suicide.    Some people who are depressed do commit suicide but it's not as common as you would think.

Learn the signs of suicide from a professional.

You don't have to be depressed to want to take your life.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if this experience is an anomaly or statistics prove this out nationwide.  I personally have known five men who committed suicide and no women.  One was losing his business, one had problems with his wife, and the other three are complete mysteries to all their friends.

Esteemed Contributor

What is hypocrisy? - Quora