Honored Contributor

Mental Health + Teens: Did you Know?

I have taken a mental health first aid course, and there is a lot of good information out there.  They have posted four new infographics for those who work/live with teens.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Mental Health + Teens: Did you Know?

Here are some things you can do to help a teen in crisis.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

Such good information...thanks for sharing.

And I will add this comment, except most of us know:

the more calm and matter-of-fact you act while they are opening up to you, the more information they will give you because you, the trusted one, have been “real” with them. They trust you to help them.

I thought it was interesting how quickly my teens could weigh and decide they trusted.

Sadly, i figured they were very astute readers of body language and perhaps had not found many adults trustworthy. They were rather “jaded” at such a young age.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing these, @lolakimono.❤️   A topic near and dear to my heart.   I would like to add a recommendation for the website "To Write Love on Her Arms."   It's for everyone, but with their particular approach in many ways they've gotten the ears and eyes of teens and young adults more effectively than some of the other organizations have been able to do.

Mission statement: 

"To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire, and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery."

(TWLOHA)

Local Resources - look for your state (copy and paste link):

twloha.com/find-help/local-resources/

Help by category (copy and paste link):

twloha.com/find-help/help-by-topic/

(((❤️)))

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  Excellent thread to supply awareness to posters with teenagers.  When I was growing up mental health was taboo (never talked about).  It's come a long way but not enough with all the suicides in teens and adults.  Thanks for posting.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono Excellent info!  What works with me in talking to my son and getting him to emote and spill the beans is just hanging out and doing an activity......let's say cooking.....we're focusing on the activity, and then the free flow of information comes out.  Or when he was younger....we went to a restaurant a couple times a month for a "mom and me" time.....we still do that...

I remember working with teens years ago.  A good 8 out of 10 parents were clueless and resistant to working with their own kids!  The kids were great and just needed validation and a safe place to discuss feelings, opinions, etc without criticism.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono@MickD@Katcat1@dooBdoo

I would like to add this here, although it may seem like it is “in left field.”

A tv show will not be renewed and this is very disappointing. It stars/starred Hugh Laurie.

They had just started the “discussion” centralizing his teen daughter’s having inherited Dr. Chance’s mental illness.

”Chance” has not been renewed and had really become fascinating.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 that's a shame.  He's fantastic!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD@Katcat1@LTT1@lolakimono❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova