Regular Contributor

Mine didn't start until I was 59 but I plowed through it without meds, just take plenty of vitamins, especially Biotin for my hair which is starting to thin at the sides on my forehead.  For me it's being constantly warm so again, as others have said, ceiling fan in bedroom.  I drink plenty of cold water and at 63 still have warm spells.  My then

male doctor at the time just shrugged it off.  Do whatever works for you, cool nightware, cool sheets, water by the bed and cool temperature to sleep in.  Good look with your visit.

Valued Contributor
Wow, so much good info here! I love hearing about everyone’s different experiences. I will say….I’m a bit nervous after watching my mom go through it. My poor dad. He walked on eggshells for years. Mom was super moody, ultra sensitive and quit smoking during that same period. 😳
Valued Contributor
@Spacrazy LOL!!!
Honored Contributor

No symptoms for me,. except I did notice some heart palps. I am almost 70 now, never had a hot flash yet, lucky!!!

Esteemed Contributor

At 54 years old I still had my period right on schedule every month.   At the same age I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Chemo put me right through menopause, after my first infusion I never had another one.  I did have some issues with hot flashes for a few years.  As @AngelPuppy1  stated, I felt the burning from the inside out, it was awful.  That feeling like you just can't cool off no matter what.    I have always slept with a fan and still do, winter and summer.    I took Arimidex for 5 years post cancer to help block estrogen in my body.  As others stated, as difficult as it can be, you will get through it.

Respected Contributor

IMHO, menopause is not a disease that requires treatment from a medical doctor, but a natural process that happens to every woman who is fortunate enough to live to the age when it occurs.

A friend of mine, Maryann, died due to the cancer she developed exactly five years after she began HRT. She had an immaculate diet with so many healthy vegetables and fruits and legumes, and only a smattering of fish for protein. Her lunch was salad every day. She was in perfect physical shape, too, due to exercise.  But the HRT gave her breast cancer, and even after stopping the HRT altogether at that five year mark, and even after beating back the cancer she developed through chemo and radiation, she had a reoccurrence of her cancer and it killed her.  Due to what I have read about the medical risks of HRT and Maryann's experience, I am not, and never will be, a fan of HRT.  

So what if a person has hot flashes and sweats and becomes moody? These things pass over time. These pesky symptoms sure beat getting breast cancer from your treatment to alleviate these symptoms!  I am still upset about Maryann's death in 2017.  I always will be. She was a lovely, kind-hearted, beautiful person who brightened up every room she entered.

Honored Contributor

Personally i would never take HRT orally or use the internal cream. There are other ways to fight this. 

Respected Contributor

Find yourself a very good female MD who specializes in female hormones.  I found one and she is not a Ob/Gyn just a female physician who found it ridiculous that so many women suffer needlessly through menopause.

She has a holistic approach of diet and lifestyle but will/can order individualized compounded HRT.

Everyone I talked to said she solved everything from mood swings, weight gain, insomnia, and hot flashes and they were able to breeze through menopause.

Esteemed Contributor

It is too bad that we also don't celebrate coming out the other side.  So many concerns are now gone.  It's good on the far side.

Contributor

I've been going through surgical menopause (had total hysterectomy) for the past year and a half now with no HRT (on blood thinners). The hot flashes were intense, but are much more manageable now. I did have some 'menopause brain" where I had forgetfulness, but that passed within 6 months and I think clearer now than I did before menopause. I do have some perisitent acid reflux/stomach issues from lack of hormones though. My doctor said it's slow stomach motility. But, all in all, it hasn't been that bad.