Honored Contributor

Re: Menopausal weight gain question and advise

@Pook wrote:

I really don't think anything will help most with this issue!  I have always worked out daily for at least an hour and now that I am retired even more, walked with my dog weather permitting for 2 - 3 miles and could eat whatever and how much I wanted without weight gain - THEN - perimenopause and the weight piled on.  Changing changing my eating habits did get some of the weight off but not the middle bulge.  No amount of exercise or eating changes can do it.  Cool Sculpting can take most off but it is costly.  Several doctors I have seen over the years confirmed this and said since I am very muscular, fit and healthy learn to live with it.  It doesn't change the person I am and not worth obsessing over!!

I respectfully disagree with that. I am proof that it can be done. I'm 63yo and I do not have  belly fat or any tire thing. I have a six-pack that you can clearly see and that wasn't the case when I went into meno. 

Honored Contributor

I understand wanting to look and feel your best but IMO if you were relatively thin all your life and then gain some weight during menopause this is a natural occurrence and not something to obsess over. Most of us are not going to look like we did in our 20s and 30s and that's life.  I am not willing to give up food items I enjoy in order to lose 10 or 15 pounds.  Love yourself no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I really don't think anything will help most with this issue!  I have always worked out daily for at least an hour and now that I am retired even more, walked with my dog weather permitting for 2 - 3 miles and could eat whatever and how much I wanted without weight gain - THEN - perimenopause and the weight piled on.  Changing changing my eating habits did get some of the weight off but not the middle bulge.  No amount of exercise or eating changes can do it.  Cool Sculpting can take most off but it is costly.  Several doctors I have seen over the years confirmed this and said since I am very muscular, fit and healthy learn to live with it.  It doesn't change the person I am and not worth obsessing over!!

I respectfully disagree with that. I am proof that it can be done. I'm 63yo and I do not have  belly fat or any tire thing. I have a six-pack that you can clearly see and that wasn't the case when I went into meno. 

While that may have worked for you, it will not work for most and you are one of the lucky exceptions and I am proof that nothing will change it as well.  There are more woman who will attest to this!  It has to do with each woman's hormone levels and nothing can usually be done to counteract tha enough to make a difference!.   I had a six-pack before menopause and was well buffed out all my life. I have amped up my workouts and even when I saw a dietician and changed my eating habits for a year the spare tire was still there and nothing except for maybe the cool sculpting will make it go away.  It did nothing to eat dull food so I went back to my usual diet so at least I am happy.  I am still very muscular (more so than I was before peri menopause) and physically fit and that's enough for me.

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMeeI'll have what you're having!! KUDOS to you! Smiley Wink

I am learning a lot about health, fitness and nutrition on these forums.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katilein     When this change happens to your metabolism you have to totally revamp your lifestyle and your thinking about  YOU.

I had no problem staying  really slender up to about the age of 60(  I went into  full menopause  at age 47).    Suddenly at age 60,  retired....no longer working... not quite as active on my feet doing retail... I put on 10 unwanted pounds and it seemed to all land  at my belly area which use to be very flat.  

Yes, depressing... but, I started changing up my priorities too.... where in my younger years I would abuse my body to stay slim and trim   starve, etc....... I now want to focus on loving my body as it is and caring for it so it stays strong and healthy as I go into my more senior years.( I am 62 now).  No more extremes. 

So I focus on my very healthy diet.... moderate exercise.... and embrace a few extra pounds... and a not so flat belly.    I am not skinny anymore... but, at a good healthy BMI for my height. Just average.

I guess what I am saying is, that there are more important things in life than a flat belly. Do not beat yourself up over it.  Stay strong, stay healthy.... love that body, do not hate it.. 

It will love you back.     You did not say your age. I am guessing in your 50's? 

Honored Contributor

to add insult to injury....little 'spots' have been showing up on my body....according to the derm, age related, nothing serious, ugh.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

to add insult to injury....little 'spots' have been showing up on my body....according to the derm, age related, nothing serious, ugh.

@Mom2Dogs   are they red little spots or dark spots?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden. little red spots....mother nature is not kind.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden. little red spots....mother nature is not kind.

@Mom2Dogs  I have had these for YEARS.. on my chest and belly etc.   Very small... not dangerous or anything... but just WHY?

these are angiomas, sometimes called cherry angiomas or senile angiomas, even though they often begin to appear in people in their 30s. (They are also known as Campbell de Morgan spots after the surgeon who first described them in 1872.) These bright red (occasionally purple) spots are harmless growths made up of small blood vessels. Cherry angiomas are very common, present in more than 75 percent of people over the age of 75, and they typically run in families.

Honored Contributor

You can get very good information and food plans and what to eat on Clean Eating. It can change your life.  It is truly amazing, you get to eat alot of food and it is good, clean food and not junk or garbage food. You can check it out online by searching Eating Clean. I have a book by Tosca Reno, but you dont have to get any book. There is so much good info online about eating clean!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller