Respected Contributor

Just heard of Meloxicam use for arthritic pain or joint pain.  Is it simply a high dose ibuprofin?

Trusted Contributor

I have some in my medicine cabinet given to me when I had a shooting pain that went from my shoulder to my wrist.   I don’t think it’s the same. Usually 800 mg Motrin is a high dose of ibuprofen. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I both used it when we had knee replacement. It’s supposed to be an anti inflammatory. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is an inflammatory that I only use occasionally.  Working out has not worked out for my knees, but I have found that CBD oil is better for pain, at least for me.  However, if the pain is really severe, it is Meloxicam that I take.  Like anything, I will not take it daily as I worry about long-term side effects.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I have been given Meloxicam for arthritis.  Doctor says once a day.   Try to take it less often.  I find it does relieve my knee pain and I have no side effects.

Respected Contributor

Works wonders for me.

Trusted Contributor

That's what I'm currently taking for my Metatarsalgia/Morton's Neuroma.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Just heard of Meloxicam use for arthritic pain or joint pain.  Is it simply a high dose ibuprofin?

Meloxicam (Mobic) never helped me.  I was on it for a few years and started having stomach problems.  My gastro doc did an endoscopy and found a HUGE ulcer... one of the largest ones the doc had ever seen!!!  I started on a very common medication (which, of course, I can't think of right now... getting old is tough) but it eventually cleared up the ulcer.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl From a certified pharmacy tech, yes.  It's not the same exact thing as ibuprofen but same class of drugs.  If you are okay with NSAIDS, it should work for you.  If you are not, it won't.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl

@bargainsgirl wrote:

My dog was given this for dogs last week for her arthritic pain and it works.  She is walking better and in better spirits.  The vet said it was like a super asprin.