Honored Contributor

I am currently using Dream Water which has Melatonin in it but it is very expensive and also does not give the MG in the bottle.

I have no clue how many MG I should take to help me sleep

thanks all

TIA ellen

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

You can buy melatonin in a jar for VERY little money. I had to stop using it because it gave me very vivid scary nightmares. This is a common side effect. I think that the dosage of melatonin needed differs from person to person. I am surprised that the MGS are not shown on the package. Can you contact the company? It seems like it should be listed.

Honored Contributor

It says 150mg blend of GABA, Melatoinian, and L-triptophane. No specifics for each

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

My PCP recommended 1 mg; he says the literature does not indicate that higher dosages work any better than lower dosages. That said, I have never seen it sold for 1 mg, so I buy 3 - the lowest I can find.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

I used to work as a psychiatric nurse practitioner. We recommended 3 mg of melatonin for sleep.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Melatonin alone didn't work for me. I found a combination of Melatoning with Valerian and/or Hops and Theanine worked for me. When I worked the night shift and moved to the day shift, I used something called Knock-Out and it really helped. It's by Schiff and I found it in the vitamins section of my grocery store. (My HEB grocery store has a HUGE drugstore and natural foods section built in, so you might need to go to an actual grocery store to find it.)

Honored Contributor

Peaches, your pcp is correct. I read those studies and lower dose melatonin is the correct way to go, 3mg is no longer recommended based on the literature.

Honored Contributor

I hope everyone checks with their physician or pharmacist.

Melatonin is a hormone,

can interfere with other medications, and can have adverse side-effects.

Here's just some info about it: "...Melatonin is likely safe for most people when taken for a short-term, studies show.

However melatonin may cause side effects including headache, daytime sleepiness, short-lived depression symptoms, stomach cramps, dizziness and irritability...

...may interfere with some cancer treatments, according to the American Cancer Society...

...may increase the strength of the immune system, which can cause problems for people with severe allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, lymphoma and other conditions linked to overactive immune systems, according to the American Cancer Society. People with immune system disorders should speak with a doctor before taking melatonin supplements as melatonin may weaken the effectiveness of immunosuppressants.

Melatonin may slow blood clotting, so taking melatonin alongside medications that also slow blood clotting can lead to excessive bruising or bleeding. Melatonin may also produce this side effect if taken with herbs that slow blood clotting such as angelica, clove, danshen, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, Panax ginseng, red clover and willow...

...Several drugs and treatments may interact with melatonin...

...Melatonin may increase blood sugar, therefore decreasing the effectiveness of diabetes medications to lower blood sugar. Melatonin may also constrict blood vessels, which could be dangerous for people with high blood pressure or heart disease..."

(Many sources online, this one matches what my pharmacist has said, and is from the in-depth article at http://www.livescience.com/42066-melatonin-supplement-facts.html.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

i use melatonin 3mg with no side effects. i do not take it daily. i may use it once or twice a week. i take it about an hour before i want to be asleep and it always works well for me without me feeling groggy in the morning. it is also great when you travel.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I take 3 or 5 mg when I use it. It does help me get to sleep but doesn't necessarily keep me asleep. I still wake up in the middle of the night sometimes after I've taken it.