Respected Contributor

What do you think about a person that says they have had melanoma, laying in the sun, even if they have sun block on? 

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

My view is one that many disagree with, but as long as they're getting routine skin checks there's likely little danger. Melanoma caught early and fully excised is generally curable. Sun exposure is a tricky subject. I had a hematologist who encouraged his patients to get twenty to thirty minutes of sun exposure a day so they'd create more vitamin D. He felt the risk of internal cancers caused by a lack of vitamin D was greater than the risk of skin cancer from sun exposure. Skin cancers are easier to detect early than internal cancers and easier to treat. People living in sunnier areas tend to get fewer cancers, so he felt the risk/reward was tilted in favor of sun exposure.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I think that person should go by what the surgeon who treated her told her to do.  If the doctor said it's okay with sunscreen, then it is, although after a scare like that I might not feel like taking any chances.  One could always sit under one of those big umbrellas and still enjoy the outdoors while being shielded from the sun.

Respected Contributor

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

What do you think about a person that says they have had melanoma, laying in the sun, even if they have sun block on? 

I think what that person does is his/her choice.  It is likely that docs have discussed future risk.with the patient.

Esteemed Contributor

If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

Trusted Contributor

My friend had a melanoma spot removed and her dr. told her as long as she used a good sunblock and applied frequently there was no reason to avoid being in the sun. 

Respected Contributor

The melanoma form of skin cancer is the deadliest. I have a friend who NEVER is in the sun has struggled with this deadly form for 8 years. It has spred to their lungs 3 times and is in their 4 session of radiation after having partial lung removed. 

This cancer was called to the attention of the doctor in a place where there is no chance of sun. 

Honored Contributor

POOF!

Honored Contributor

Re: Melanoma and suntanning

[ Edited ]

I thought they just reported that some sunscreens are not what they've been made out to be. I had a relative who passed from cancer from setting in the sun many years ago. It was not nice what she had to endure before the end. That's my answer, you wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy!!

Respected Contributor

I started this thread because this is an important subject. On one of the spray tan shows I heard a show host say that they had had melanoma and never goes in the sun, they always use spray tanning. This host has a picture of themself in the sun, tanning. Now it is one thing to fib about things to make a sale but to say something like this about cancer and so blatently go against what they said is just not right.

Cancer is a serious subject and nothing to take lightly, I have many kinds of cancer in my family and pray everyday for it to not rear its ugly head.

Making a sale is one thing but to what means do the host's have to go to make them?

Don't worry, be Happy!