Honored Contributor

Medigap Options C & F no longer available

[ Edited ]

Two Medigap options, C and F, will no longer be available for anyone that becomes eligible for Medicare after this year. There will be fewer choices in supplemental insurance for those turning 65 after January 1st. Coverage for Medicare’s Part B deductible, $185, won’t be permitted for these newbies. Part B covers outpatient therapy, medical equipment and doctors visits. The two supplemental plans, C and F won’t be around for these new to Medicare because these plans included the Part B deductible coverage. If you already have one of these plans you can keep it. PlanF has been the most popular Medigap plan because of its coverage. It carries a higher premium. Plan G will be available and provides the same coverage minus the Part B deductible coverage. There will also be a high deductible Plan G offered. Medicare has this chart on its website. https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/compare-medigap/compare-medigap.html

Honored Contributor

Re: Medigap Options C & F no longer available

My husband has Plan F.  It’s been great for him.

I’ll start Medicare next October and I’m sorry it won’t be available for me to choose.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

We were told that F is going to get very expensive also.

We both bought Plan N - it was $800 each a year less expensive than G - the difference is that with Plan N there is a $20 co-pay for office visits.  We'd have to have 40 office visits before we used up the savings.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We were told that F is going to get very expensive also.

We both bought Plan N - it was $800 each a year less expensive than G - the difference is that with Plan N there is a $20 co-pay for office visits.  We'd have to have 40 office visits before we used up the savings.

I have plan F, never heard it's going to get expensive.I pay $292.89, Have Express Script for my meds, have to pay in January $415.00 first time, then meds are cheaper. However, I have never paid another penny on any medical , that's hospital, ER.,Drs or surgery, I feel I am way ahead of the game. Plan F was all I could get since I'm on O2 /24 hours. I think the $292.89 was the raise from last year.

Respected Contributor

I just switched from Plan F to G, the only diffrence is I have to pay the $185 deductible, but Plaln G is $60 cheaper a month for me.  So thats a huge savings and pays the deductible in about 3 months time.  I too heard you can keep plan F, but it will be very expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Re@@@@@@: Medigap Options C & F no longer available

@Mindy D :  I started reading your post and noted the following:

It was a cut and paste medical (sorta)post so I knew, even before checking that it was YOU!!!

Better, easier to digest, pertinent information on medicare is readily available on Social Security website.

I, like everybody who participates in Medicare has part B.  For me, that's it since I (as a retired Federal employee) continue my BCBS.  I haven't had a co pay in the ten years I've been on medicare.  Occasionally, there is a small co pay on meds.

Respected Contributor

Re: Re@@@@@@: Medigap Options C & F no longer available

I turn 65 in December so I have the choice to get Plan F. I am electing to get G instead. Because F is going away, the pool of premium will shrink which causes higher rate increases. The pool for G will grow, hopefully causing less of a rate increase every year.  The Part B deductible is not terrible. Much better than what I have been paying pre-Medicare!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I turn 65 in December so I have the choice to get Plan F. I am electing to get G instead. Because F is going away, the pool of premium will shrink which causes higher rate increases. The pool for G will grow, hopefully causing less of a rate increase every year.  The Part B deductible is not terrible. Much better than what I have been paying pre-Medicare!

The cost of this deductible will increase. The cost of your insurance will continue to rise,and so will Medicare part B. 

SSA and Medicare collect statistics. You should be able to find the cost of deductibles for many years online. 

Kaiser Family Foundation.Org has data from 1975 to possible costs for 2024.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The cost of this deductible will increase. The cost of your insurance will continue to rise,and so will Medicare part B. 

SSA and Medicare collect statistics. You should be able to find the cost of deductibles for many years online. 

Kaiser Family Foundation.Org has data from 1975 to possible costs for 2024.

Thanks, I know all of this.

Was in the insurance business for 40 years. 🙂

Honored Contributor

This is why I plan to work until I'm 72, longer if I can.  I'd rather work and build up my savings and investments so I don't have to depend on all this Alphabet stuff.  All of which costs $$$ anyway.