Super Contributor

Re: Medicare doesn't cover blood tests?

Here's one more thing to add to the list of things Medicare will now not cover. 
do you get a yearly mammogram and sonogram? Medicare will now no longer pay for the sonogram. Here in New York the charge of 378.00 dollars.

Valued Contributor

Medicare won't pay lab tests for my husband's DOT physical , neither will they pay for the physical .  They pay for all his other labs fully , and he gets tons of labs as he has a kidney transplant . 

Valued Contributor

Medicare won't pay lab tests for my husband's DOT physical , neither will they pay for the physical .  They pay for all his other labs fully , and he gets tons of labs as he has a kidney transplant . 

Trusted Contributor

I'd call the office where that sign was posted and ask them what it means.

Medicare doesn't pay for everything....that is why DH and I have a secondary insurance plan which pays what Medicare doesn't.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mammograms

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)

covers:

• A baseline mammogram once in your lifetime (if you’re a woman between ages 35-39).
    • Screening mammograms once every 12 months (if you’re a woman age 40 or older).
    • Diagnostic mammograms more frequently than once a year, if 

medically necessary

Your costs in Original Medicare

• Screening mammogram: You pay nothing for the screening if your doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts 

assignment

• Diagnostic mammogram: After you meet the Part B 

deductible

•  , you pay 20% of the 

Medicare-Approved Amount

Note:

To find out how much your test, item, or service will cost, talk to your doctor or health care provider. The specific amount you’ll owe may depend on several things, like:

• Other insurance you may have
  • How much your doctor charges
  • If your doctor accepts assignment
  • The type of facility
  • Where you get your test, item, or service

Note:

Your doctor or other health care provider may recommend you get services more often than Medicare covers. Or, they may recommend services that Medicare doesn’t cover. If this happens, you may have to pay some or all of the costs. Ask questions so you understand why your doctor is recommending certain services and if, or how much, Medicare will pay for them.

What it is

Mammograms are screenings that check for breast cancer.

To see what a "baseline mammogram is, do a search in google or something."  It could be a test that was found not to be beneficial to women.  I think I read that a very long time ago.  Guidance changes as research physicians come up with new findings and recommendations.

Think of it like blood pressure.  The long time standard blood pressure of 120/80 is not something to aspire to anymore.  The newer standard is for your blood pressure to be lower than that so that you don't hit the pre-hypertensive stage.  Medical recommendations change.  However, I get a yearly mammogram on Medicare every single year and I live in NYC.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/mammograms

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I disagree. My husband has cancers, goes for killer chemo infustions every other week. Prior to each one they draw labs because it's necessary to look at his levels. Every one is covered by medicare, anything left leftover, his supplement covers anything to do with his days getting stuff done.

@PINKdogWOOD 

Thats not the same thing.  Once you are diagnosed with an illness, different rules apply than when you are simply having a screening. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

If by screenings @shoesnbags   you are referring to wellness checks, my labs have always been covered by medicare, never a problem. If you mean something else by "screenings" then I really do not know of what you refer.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like if you already have a diagnosed illness and are getting blood taken, it would be covered.  

Sometimes the venipuncture may not be covered with private insurance, depending on where you have it done.  I have seen that and had to appeal to get that one covered.  Not sure how medicare covers that.

Contributor

I've had blood tests paid for by Medicare.  Your Dr. knows what labs they will pay for.  Call the Billing Dept at your Dr's office and talk to them.  If you go online at the Medicare site they will tell you what tests are paid for.  I worked as an RN and your Dr. puts codes on your "fee ticket".  All labs have to have an appropriate code (ICD 9/10) that justifies all tests your Dr. does.  You can also call Medicare yourself to find out.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

If by screenings @shoesnbags   you are referring to wellness checks, my labs have always been covered by medicare, never a problem. If you mean something else by "screenings" then I really do not know of what you refer.

@PINKdogWOOD 

I was simply saying that as a patient diagnosed with cancer, your husband's blood tests fall into a different category than a "well" person's blood tests.  Different rules  could  apply. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett