Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare doesn't cover blood tests?

[ Edited ]

We pay $850.00 for a month for a supplemental blue cross plan that covers a lot of what medicare does not.  You almost have to have a second plan or you get less and less coverage now from Medicare.

Also, I personally pay for my own blood tests from Life Extension that I order. They are MUCH more comprehensive tests than the doctor ever orders and I can do my own cholesterol tests etc throughout the year.    They recently had a yearly sale on blood tests and I did several.

Frequent Contributor

I had the same experience after my last of "normal" blood panel as part of my Medicare required check-up. I ended up having to pay for the vitamin D charge. My primary care doctor's staff resubmitted the bill to no avail.

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

What?  They would prefer a disease goes unmonitored or undetected?

I would have promptly questioned that.  That could be a sign up for people who don't know any better and who will not challenge that false assertion.  None of this makes much sense to me.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

That can't be right.  For what other reason would you have blood tests done?  Are you sure you didn't misread something in the sign.

I read it and reread it, and reread it again because I couldn't believe my eyes!

@PilatesLover 

That really doesn't sound right .....  By any chance did you take a picture of it with your phone?  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

We pay $850.00 for a month for a supplemental blue cross plan that covers a lot of what medicare does not.  You almost have to have a second plan or you get less and less coverage now from Medicare.

Also, I personally pay for my own blood tests from Life Extension that I order. They are MUCH more comprehensive tests than the doctor ever orders and I can do my own cholesterol tests etc throughout the year.    They recently had a yearly sale on blood tests and I did several.

That's not true that you get "less and less coverage from Medicare."  Any new changes to Medicare over the years has been to allow Part C plans to provide extra benefits.  Medicare is not cutting back on anything.  Some of us just don't understand Medicare to begin with.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I believe the reason is not to unmonitor or undetect a disease but to have it ordered by a Physician for total care.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lab work every year... Never ever have I paid anything out of pocket....  What Medicare doesn't cover my Medicare supplement pays....My PCP knows what's covered, if something wasn't she would certainly tell me. She stays up to date with any changes.  When I see her next time I will ask.... Now if the lab test isn't deemed medically necessary or if the test is performed too often or if the test is experimental those may not be covered.

Honored Contributor

All I know is I've had all kinds of lab and other tests and all sorts of medical procedures including major surgery since I've been on Medicare with a supplement, and I've never paid a single penny.  Somebody is paying it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   Same here.  Everything covered including Vit D and a # of other more targeted blood tests I request my PCP to order.

I have a Medicare Advantage PPO.

Trusted Contributor

I have BCBS insurance from my employer that I pay over $600 a month for and they don't cover blood tests as part of my physical either.  They only cover a cholesterol test once every 5 years!  It's totally ridiculous.  So much for preventative health care.  Luckily all my labs are in the normal range so my doctor agreed to skip them when I get my physical this year.  Last year I had to pay over $700 for a handful of routine tests.