Trusted Contributor

Medicare doesn't cover blood tests?

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

What?  They would prefer a disease goes unmonitored or undetected?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare doesn't cover blood tests?

@PilatesLover wrote:

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

@PilatesLover - I had a physical in December and all labs were covered and always have been.  I find it hard to believe that Medicare has a new policy.  My medigap pays any difference.   I'd call Medicare 

Honored Contributor

I got paperwork yesterday that said a Vit D test was not allowed and it was ordered by my doctor. What?????
Honored Contributor

I had bloodwork three weeks ago and it was covered as usual.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:
I got paperwork yesterday that said a Vit D test was not allowed and it was ordered by my doctor. What?????

That one is correct but the lab warned me in advance.  However, if your test shows that you are low in Vit D your next test will be covered.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

That can't be right.  For what other reason would you have blood tests done?  Are you sure you didn't misread something in the sign.

Respected Contributor

I believe mine have been covered in the past, but my doctor is very very careful about ordering them.  When my A1C had gone down really low, I know it's not covered. 

Honored Contributor

The only reason I can think of that Medicare wouldn't pay for doctor-ordered blood tests is if the patient didn't have Part B coverage.  My blood tests have always been covered.

Honored Contributor

So far in 2022 all my tests have been covered.  All of them were related to a surgical procedure diagnosed by biopsy as pre-cancerous.  After surgery tests have all been to try to regulate meds as my body accommodates to having no thyroid.

If I understand correctly, I will require monitoring including office visits, blood tests, and meds for the rest of my life.  I do wish I felt more secure than I do about the future of all the services our health entails

Trusted Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

That can't be right.  For what other reason would you have blood tests done?  Are you sure you didn't misread something in the sign.

I read it and reread it, and reread it again because I couldn't believe my eyes!