Respected Contributor

Re: Medicare doesn't cover blood tests?

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

What?  They would prefer a disease goes unmonitored or undetected?

That can't be right.  For what other reason would you have blood tests done?  Are you sure you didn't misread something in the sign.

@Scooby Doo @this is true. My daughter takes antipsychotic drugs which can raise sugar levels. Medicare will not pay for a AC1, think that is right, test unless it's ordered by her psychiatrist. 

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

It sounds like if you already have a diagnosed illness and are getting blood taken, it would be covered.  

Sometimes the venipuncture may not be covered with private insurance, depending on where you have it done.  I have seen that and had to appeal to get that one covered.  Not sure how medicare covers that.

Is that not the most ridiculous thing you ever heard! 

What are you supposed to do, bring a bucket of blood with you to the lab?

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 

Medicare won't cover your daughter's AC1 tests? Is she over 65 or on SSI? 

hckynut  🇺🇸

@panda1234 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

While getting my labs drawn this morning, across from me was a sign stating that Medicare does not pay for blood tests ordered as part of a physical or for the diagnosis of any disease.  Also imposes limitations on men's PSA levels.

That can't be right.  For what other reason would you have blood tests done?  Are you sure you didn't misread something in the sign.

@Scooby Doo @this is true. My daughter takes antipsychotic drugs which can raise sugar levels. Medicare will not pay for a AC1, think that is right, test unless it's ordered by her psychiatrist. 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@panda1234 

hckynut  🇺🇸

@panda1234 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

This is INCORRECT.  Medicare will pay for these tests no matter which doctor orders it.  It's all in the proper coding of the tests. My cardiologists orders it for me, not my primary.  My primary can too.  Any doc that dispenses medications to you or not can order these tests if there is valid medical reason to do so.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@panda1234 

hckynut  🇺🇸

@panda1234 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

@hckynutjohn this is true. She is on SSDI and 26 years old. If her psychiatrist orders the test then it is ok. It will not be covered if PC orders it, odd rules.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 

Thank you for your reply. I knew(children up to 26?)were/are able to stay on certain Medical and Auto Insurance Polices. Wasn't sure if that also applied to children under 26 on a parents Medicare Plans also.

Had not seen a post with that mentioned, so I was not sure. You clarified that for me and I appreciate it. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I have United med advantage now. My pension provider has moved me to Aetna, Humana, and now United in the past six years. Aetna was the best. I had a CBC two months ago with a couple of other things they were supposed to test for and just got a past-due notice ( I didn't know I owed anything) for $110.35. They draw the blood at the dr office, but send it out to Quest for the testing...and they send you the bill. I have never received a bill from Quest that I felt was fair.  They always send it out months after you have seen them so it says it is past due.