Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare doesn't cover Prescription Glasses ..

4 years ago I ordered a pair of much less expensive frames and way before the 2 years of normal use was up they broke at the side hinge. DH jury rigged them  so I could wear them but they no longer collapsed down.I feel you do get what you pay for as regard to these things, and I'll never again buy cheap glasses as I NEED my glasses. those were probably the prettiest glasses frames I ever had too. I will be up to buy new ones this winter.

Regular Contributor

AARP offers a vision discount with their membership,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The reality is you can save a few fortune buying prescription eyeglasses online.  Zenni Optical is a great source. I bought a pair of the bendable titanium frames with matching clip on sunglasses, progressive polycarbonate lenses, anti-reflective coating, for under $85. The lenses alone at my local optician were over $200 and a comparable complete pair of glasses there would have cost in excess of $600. Zenni is better than the best insurance. The only real negative is that it takes about three weeks to get them, but the cost savings are worth the wait.

As gardenman says, it pays to get a bit creative when shopping for glasses.  A poster here on the boards posted a picture of frames I loved.  I found them online ON SALE at an optical shop in Canada, ordered them  and had the lenses made at Walmart.  When I was looking for frames, the people in Wal-Mart's optical shop were the most helpful, but they didn't have frames I liked.  The staff at the much touted Costco couldn't interrupt their gossipfest to help customers.

The glasses with progressive lenses cost about $300.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

RinaRina

I understand your disappointment.  :-(    

DH and I did have a supplement for eye exams and glasses but found it was cheaper to just go with a sale at the local establishments.  We won't do the eye supplent next time.

Good luck.  I haven't read all responses and so apologize if this is a repeat of somene eles.