Honored Contributor

My husband is currently working and his insurance is my primary and Medicare is my secondary.

My provider submits a bill to my primary insurance and they say I only have my normal $20 co pay, they then submit the same claim to Medicare and they pay my provider $17.00, so does this mean I owe my provider only $3.

I am new to Medicare and I am trying to find a bit of clarity, thanks all for the kind responses

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I’m not on Medicare but based on my understanding of primary & secondary insurance I believe you’re correct. You would only owe $3.

Honored Contributor

I believe Medicare pays an amount contracted for the service you got and the provider eats the difference.  That's why some doctors won't take Medicare.  Sometimes there's a huge difference between what the doctors charge and what they're paid,  but I've never been charged.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare co pays

[ Edited ]

Just make sure the person at the desk in the drs office knows you have Medicare. They must bill Medicare first; your insurance provider only pays after Medicare has paid their part. Medicare is considered your primary insurance, even if you have private insurance as well.

Honored Contributor

My provider knows exactly what Medicare Advantage plan pays for. She gives a number of different test in her office and has me get the ones I need every year. She sees me every three months to monitor my meds. I pay my co pay only when I see the Dr. never when I go for a test. 

When I get my statement from insurance company if there are any charges still owed, the Doctor has them removed from the bill. Been going for 6 years.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess

Please read my post Medicare is secondary my husband is still working and works for the Gov't so it is an employer of more than 1,000, I have researched this thoroughly and need to explain it to every provider.

@lovesrecess wrote:

Just make sure the person at the desk in the drs office knows you have Medicare. They must bill Medicare first; your insurance provider only pays after Medicare has paid their part. Medicare is considered your primary insurance, even if you have private insurance as well.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did read your post. Not sure why you are offended. I got my info directly from Medicare and from Aetna, Blue Cross, and Humana. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess

I am not offended please bear in mind each situation is different, my primary is my husband insurance while he is still employed and Medicare is the secondary until he retires

@lovesrecess wrote:

I did read your post. Not sure why you are offended. I got my info directly from Medicare and from Aetna, Blue Cross, and Humana. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Not necessarily, those rules have changed.

The provider is sending the bill to her group insurance first, so that's not in question.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:

What you are stating is 100% incorrect.  Many people have Medicare insurance that is secondary.  You need to read about Medicare secondary payer laws.