Honored Contributor

Sigh, another medicare question and....Yes, I did look on Medicare.gov....if the answer is there then I over looked it!

I THOUGHT October - December was the only time any person could make any change to their existing supplement and drug plans.

I just spoke with my supplement company about pricing for 2023 I was told  any price increase would happen on my anniversary date, which will be in July 2023.

I could get a different plan thru that company to lower the cost IF there was a price increase, BUT what if I want to leave that company, do I have to stay with them until open enrollment time?  Or can I shop for a new company and plan at the time my policy went up in price?

thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare/changing plans

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

We are happy with the plan we are on, considered to be our default plan. My wife worked in insurance(medical and dental Claims Analyst) over several decades. She went to the website listed in the info we received, and reviewed all if our options. I gladly go along with what she chooses for us because this stuff is usually way above my mental grasp.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn ...just when I think I understand, I have a question and then I am back to not understanding...hence my question...and you are smart, listen to your wife!!

Regular Contributor

The open enrollment from Oct 15- Dec 7 is for Advantage plans and Part D drug plans. There is no open enrollment for Medigap/Supplemental plans.You can try to change your Medigap plan at anytime during the year, but,  in most cases if you want to change your Medigap/Supplemental plan and are outside of you Initial emrollment period you will need to go through underwriting. There are some states that allow you to change, at certain times of the year, without underwriting. 

Honored Contributor

@Josmad   Thank you, I did undestand about the underwriting but it was changing to a new company mid year that had me confused..thanks so much, now I get it!!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - are you on Facebook?  There is the greatest group over there, dedicated to Medicare stuff. I have learned so much in that group.  If you are on Facebook, the group is called Medicare Q&A with Boomer Benefits.

38,000 people in the group. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Sigh, another medicare question and....Yes, I did look on Medicare.gov....if the answer is there then I over looked it!

I THOUGHT October - December was the only time any person could make any change to their existing supplement and drug plans.

I just spoke with my supplement company about pricing for 2023 I was told  any price increase would happen on my anniversary date, which will be in July 2023.

I could get a different plan thru that company to lower the cost IF there was a price increase, BUT what if I want to leave that company, do I have to stay with them until open enrollment time?  Or can I shop for a new company and plan at the time my policy went up in price?

thanks.

You can change your supplemental and RX plans anytime. I just found that out a year ago too. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

A couple of years ago when I turned 65 and shopping for plans in the month of May my husband was with me.  We sat with an agent who represented many plans. We priced his plan at the same time and was able to replace his, saving over a hundred dollars per moth.  Just had to fill out a health form and they reviewed and approved (I was told no matter when you change a suplemental you have to go through a health review.) I guess I really don't understand the October through December push other than for prescription plans.

Regular Contributor

You can only change your RX plan if you have an available election period, which is usually only between Oct 15 and Dec 7. There are rare cases when you can chage your RX plan at other times of the year. 

Trusted Contributor

@Josmad , Gosh, thank you for your expertise.

I am confused as my adplan has recently guided me through getting on medicaid, which is now official. 

I don't understand what all that means to me. Could I save even more money by exiting my adplan completely?