Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare and you book came today...

@Perkup wrote:

Did anyone really think that given the new federal guidelines for health care there would be no increase in fees?  Someone - actually everyone - will have to pay the difference involved in the new programs that are offered to everyone, including those who do not pay.   It's going to cost us all. Might as well get used to it. There is no "free lunch" anymore.

Who ever said there was a "free lunch" ...  when?  

Medicare rates go up every year, that's nothing new.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Did anyone really think that given the new federal guidelines for health care there would be no increase in fees?  Someone - actually everyone - will have to pay the difference involved in the new programs that are offered to everyone, including those who do not pay.   It's going to cost us all. Might as well get used to it. There is no "free lunch" anymore.

Who ever said there was a "free lunch" ...  when?  

Medicare rates go up every year, that's nothing new.

I can remember back a few years ago when the ins. Company gave you generics free for over a year -- just to convert a lot of folks from brand names to generics.

" FREE with an ulterior motive "  Now the price of generics is supposed to increase.  Surprise, surprise.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I found a lot of information about Medicare Part  D, and Advantage Plans.

A national search

http://www.q1medicare.com/index.php?utm_source=partd&utm_medium=textlink&utm_campaign=header

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

There was never a free lunch. 

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

When I was working, my health insurance was pretty much a function of what my employer provided.  They deducted my portion from my checks and I just never had to think much about it because anything I might have gone looking for would certainly have cost far more than accepting their choices cost.

Now that I'm retired and getting older every year, there are just so many decisions to be made.  The choices are the most frustrating part of Medicare; I know I have to pay, but knowing what is best for me given my age, my health, my doctors, my income --omg - it's too much like work and I'm just not happy yet handing over my financial life to some outside advisor.

My Medicare book is still somewhere in the mail; thus, for today, I'm going to do what I do best procrastinate.  And wish you all good luck finding the best coverage for you and yours.

@millieshops -- There are a couple of ways to compare insurance companies.  Medicare has a good comparison of the insurance companies available to you on their web page. 

Or, you can find a consultant that will work directly with you to see what the best program is.  Most of the time you don't have to pay for their services. 

Trusted Contributor

When I was initially shopping for a plan- I wanted to make sure that my health care providers were members, and my presciptions were covered. It seemed that it was choosing six of one or a half dozen of another. A co-pay here, a deductable there.

Now,  if I stay with the same plan it will go up $20/month with changes

to various deductables and doctor co-pays.

It's very frustrating to study these plans and try to save. Everyone's circumastances are different, but I don't think it should be so involved!

Honored Contributor

It does seem that you pay the same one way or another. there are either premiums or deductibles or co pays or just what you may have to pay in the form of inconvenience. 

Respected Contributor

If it makes any of you Medicare folks feel any better, DH and I have BCBS PPO from The City of Chicago Retirees and we just got notice that our premiums are going up from 970. to 1230.00 January 1, 2016.  DH is Medicare and I just turned 62.  When he retired we paid $500.00 for us both.  Our illistrious mayor, Rahm Emmanuel stated that by 2017 no city employee currently working or retired will have no coverage other than the Affordable Health Care Act!

The police and fire unions have hired lawyers to file a class action law suit because the Illinois constitution states the City is responsible to provide health benefits.

Stay tuned folks!

P.S.  My mammogram was denied payment for the 3rd year in a row.  Neither was my pneumonia shot.  I called Benefits Management and they told me to take it up with the Police Union.  HA!

Trusted Contributor

Rather than go without preventive tests and flu shots- I would get private insurance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Medicare covers preventive tests and vaccinations for EVERYONE. preventivtive tests are all paid 100% by medicare and all advantage plans. Advantage plans are required , at a minimum , to pay for everything that regular medicare covers.