Honored Contributor

Medicare and you book came today...

[ Edited ]

and I find my advantage plan now will have a $250 deductible on the drug portion. I have been happy with this plan until now but it may be time to look at what else is available. My DH, however, isn't interested and , typical of him , refuses to discuss it. Maybe I'll have better luck another day. Of course I can change mine without him changing his and that may be what will occur. There is so much to think about when you are looking into these plans.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare and you book came today...

When I was working, my health insurance was pretty much a function of what my employer provided.  They deducted my portion from my checks and I just never had to think much about it because anything I might have gone looking for would certainly have cost far more than accepting their choices cost.

Now that I'm retired and getting older every year, there are just so many decisions to be made.  The choices are the most frustrating part of Medicare; I know I have to pay, but knowing what is best for me given my age, my health, my doctors, my income --omg - it's too much like work and I'm just not happy yet handing over my financial life to some outside advisor.

My Medicare book is still somewhere in the mail; thus, for today, I'm going to do what I do best procrastinate.  And wish you all good luck finding the best coverage for you and yours.

Honored Contributor

If you want it broken down even more, consider buying Medicare For Dummies .... my friend bought it on Ebay and she said it was a lifesaver.  

Fortunately, you have time to consider all the many options.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you want it broken down even more, consider buying Medicare For Dummies .... my friend bought it on Ebay and she said it was a lifesaver.  

Fortunately, you have time to consider all the many options.

if you have a kindle you can get this book from Amazon. It was helpful. Not all I hoped it would be. The problem is - when you start reading this stuff is so dry and boring it is difficult for it to totally hold your attention.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

When I was working, my health insurance was pretty much a function of what my employer provided.  They deducted my portion from my checks and I just never had to think much about it because anything I might have gone looking for would certainly have cost far more than accepting their choices cost.

Now that I'm retired and getting older every year, there are just so many decisions to be made.  The choices are the most frustrating part of Medicare; I know I have to pay, but knowing what is best for me given my age, my health, my doctors, my income --omg - it's too much like work and I'm just not happy yet handing over my financial life to some outside advisor.

My Medicare book is still somewhere in the mail; thus, for today, I'm going to do what I do best procrastinate.  And wish you all good luck finding the best coverage for you and yours.

I get it electronically instead of in the mail because we snowbird and aren't at home this time of year and they won't forward them.Since ours came electronically today I wonder if that means they also mailed them today.

Respected Contributor

Did anyone really think that given the new federal guidelines for health care there would be no increase in fees?  Someone - actually everyone - will have to pay the difference involved in the new programs that are offered to everyone, including those who do not pay.   It's going to cost us all. Might as well get used to it. There is no "free lunch" anymore.

Honored Contributor

Here in Illinois, we recieved the book last week.  My insurance was just put in place last week so I don't anticipate any changes by me.  My prescription Drug co. is going down in 2016.  A shock.  No word from Mutual of Omaha so I assume it will stay the same.  Not to mention, I'm under Cobra for 18 months.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Our state office for the aging has a program to help people understand different insurance options (not make the decision for them).  Check with your own states to see if they have something like that (I cannot believe my state would be the only one).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Got my Medicare book today and my Med. Advantage Plan last week.

While the monthly cost went up $11 / month, I questioned only the change to one of our medications:  instead of the 90-day supply for this cholesterol medication, it's now 30 pills for 30 days.

When I called on Monday Sept. 28 to ask exactly what this means logistically and why is it necessary because of the huge BlueCross Ins profits, I was told they can' t tell me until Oct. 1 -- today.  They did not call me today as promised.  I guess thousands of folks are calling with the same ?'s.

I can imagine going forward: I get to call every other week to get my meds; I get call every other week for my DH's meds; and, will need to call our Doctors to constantly renew our Rx's.  The Post Office will benefit due to the monthly mailings.

What an insane way to run a business.  Somewhere I heard that it was the Pharmacy Benefits Manager who came up with this.

I'll probably need an Rx for blood pressure next !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Did anyone really think that given the new federal guidelines for health care there would be no increase in fees?  Someone - actually everyone - will have to pay the difference involved in the new programs that are offered to everyone, including those who do not pay.   It's going to cost us all. Might as well get used to it. There is no "free lunch" anymore.

I don't think anyone has said here they are expecting a free lunch. WE PAY EVERY MONTH FOR OUR MEDICARE - IT GET TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM OUR SS CHECK. Not to mention a lifetime of paying from our paychecks.