Regular Contributor

What happens if you move to another state during the year before open enrollment? Is your plan good where you move, do you have to change, is there a penalty, etc. I'm mostly wondering about the Prescription Plan Part D as that one seems to be the one with biggest issue with moving. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare and moving

[ Edited ]

@susielong  Please call Medicare/insurance for answers to your questions.  It is too important to rely on opinions....and even then you might want to call and follow-up to be sure the first representative got it right.  Best of luck on your move!

Honored Contributor

If you have Original Medicare and a Supplemental Plan you have no worries.  You won’t ever have to do anything as your plan, along with Medicare Part D works in all 50 states. You can move with it as often as you wish. It sounds to me that you have this type of Medicare.  Next year during open enrollment you can change your Medicare Part D, if you want to or not. You will never have to worry about changing your medical plan. It is 100% portable.

if you have an Advantage Plan with RX coverage included, you might have a problem especially if you have an HMO.  If that is the case, your need to call your insurance company for advice as there might be no network providers in a different area or state.

i

Regular Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@susielong  Please call Medicare for answers to your questions.  It is too important to rely on opinions....and even then you might want to call and follow-up to be sure the first representative got it right.  Best of luck on your move!

I'm trying to do that, just keep getting the leave your name and number, etc. Hopefully someone will call me back soon. Just thought I would ask on here in case somebody actually worked with Medicare and could help me. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

If you have Original Medicare and a Supplemental Plan you have no worries.  You won’t ever have to do anything as your plan, along with Medicare Part D works in all 50 states. You can move with it as often as you wish. It sounds to me that you have this type of Medicare.  Next year during open enrollment you can change your Medicare Part D, if you want to or not. You will never have to worry about changing your medical plan. It is 100% portable.

if you have an Advantage Plan with RX coverage included, you might have a problem especially if you have an HMO.  If that is the case, your need to call your insurance company for advice as there might be no network providers in a different area or state.

I was determined to not post on this board ever again - but I had to tell you this is NOT TRUE. After you change your residence to a different county or state you have a certain amount of days to change your supplement or advantage plan or you will be fined. You have to use the ones that are available within your new residence area. I know because my DH didn't comply - because he didn't know - and was fined for it.PLEASE - go to your SS office for info - not this board where you get much faux info. The SS office gave us a book of plans available in our area for him to pick from, once we were informed he had to do so.

Honored Contributor

@151949I worked for 25 years with Medicare and health insurance, so I know what I am talking about.  You don’t

You are 100% wrong.  Original/Traditional Medicare is exactly the same in all 50 states.  The Supplemntal policies are also work in all 50 states.  There is absolutely no need to change your coverage.  

All you have to do is notify your insurance company of your new address.  They can charge you a different fee for being in a different state, but there is no need to change your coverage. In fact, it will be too expensive, unless your insurance company has an office in your new state.  You can’t just change your Supplemental plan, even during open enrollment.  Only RX and Advantage Plans can be changed.

Fined by whom?  The federal government won’t fine you, nor can your insurance company.  That is laughable.

i happen to know that you and your DH have an Advantage plan..  first you had an PPO then to save money and keep your silver sneaker coverage you changed to an HMO.  Advantage Medicare is VERY different than traditional/original Medicare. And YES, you do have to change your Advantage plan if you move out of your state or area.

You did not pay a fine, you got  stuck with out of network fees with Advantage Plans.  I warned you about that, but you didn’t take my word for it.  Now you found out the hard way.

Again, for at least the 100th time, Original Medicare is not the same as Advantage Medicare.

The OP should call her Supplemental Insurance Co and they will tell her the same thing I did.  She will change her address with SS, so no need to call Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@susielong if you have Traditional Medicare, or even an Advantage Plan, call your insurance company, not Medicare

Honored Contributor

@susielong@Carmie is correct. Do not listen to the Medicare, MA or healthcare advice of @151949

Call Medicare OR your supplemental company to reassure yourself.

It’s Medicare Advantage plans where you have to stick with what is offered in your geographical area, NOT regular Medicare and regular supplements.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare and moving

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  So are you saying - for example - if a person has   Blue cross supplement living in Pa and it costs $200/month that if they move to Florida where that same supplement costs $250 that Blue cross is going to be content to continue to cover you at that lower cost once they find out you have moved to Fl? 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie  So are you saying - for example - if a person has   Blue cross supplement living in Pa and it costs $200/month that if they move to Florida where that same supplement costs $250 that Blue cross is going to be content to continue to cover you at that lower cost once they find out you have moved to Fl? 

Coverage and cost are two different things.  

I don't know why you don't know that.