Honored Contributor

Just started my 2nd year on Medicare so this is my first open enrollment period.

I am thrilled with the supplement plan I chose last year, but need to make a change to my Plan D coverage as the one I chose (Blue Cross) at initial enrollment, did not serve me well this year.  

I went on the site for the company who handled my initial set up and ran their coverage checker thing.  I also went on Medicare's site and did the same, look for coverage thing.

Both listed Wellcare Value Script (PDP) as the best choice for me.  Both of the pharmacies I use are in network (CVS and Publix) and financially it seems the best.

Does anyone have experience with WellCare Value Script (PDP)?

I know I have plenty of time to get this done, but this is hanging over my head a little and creating some angst, LOL, so I'd like to get the change made, but don't want to make the wrong choice.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

if you have access to Walgreens your best plan is the United Health Care AARP - choose the Plan A that is basically a PPO plan- no monthly premium- they pay really well with meds and medical- this plan takes the place of choosing a supplement to go with your Medicare- I have had it for 2 years and this year had 4 inpatient hospital stays to include one major surgery and I have seen no bills- stay away from Blue Cross and AETNA- Humana or Cigna would be ones to check into

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Plan D

[ Edited ]

@arizona babe wrote:

if you have access to Walgreens your best plan is the United Health Care AARP - choose the Plan A that is basically a PPO plan- no monthly premium- they pay really well with meds and medical- this plan takes the place of choosing a supplement to go with your Medicare- I have had it for 2 years and this year had 4 inpatient hospital stays to include one major surgery and I have seen no bills- stay away from Blue Cross and AETNA- Humana or Cigna would be ones to check into

have to say that both my mom and my ex have BLUE CROSS CAREFIRST as their supplemental plan and it has worked very well for them. no insurance is a one size fits all.....not even a one size fits most.

@gidgetgh  my mom uses silverscript and she is happy with that coverage.she is on a bunch of medications. she uses a local independently owned mom and pop pharmacy that delivers for free. that is a big convenience for her to not have to leave the house just to pick up medicine.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Why stay away from Aetna? We have an Aetna Silverscripts supplemental drug plan, and it's working fine. That statement is too general; the same insurance doesn't work for everyone.

It depends on your location and financial situation.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@arizona babe   My employer switched our plan out of United Health and into an Aetna plan.  I am almost 2 years into it -  and so far, so good.  I have had no bills refused, haven't had to change doctors, and have yet to see an increase in my co-pays.  (Haven't been notified yet of 2022 costs- I expect a Part D increase.}

Honored Contributor

@arizona babe wrote:

@arizona babe - thank you, but I'm not interested in changing from a supplement to an advantage plan.

Honored Contributor

Ok everyone. We are veering off course some, LOL.  

I am more than happy with my Medicare supplement/Medigap plan and nothing will get me to change that.

Based on the 3 daily prescriptions I take, when those are factored in, they are recommending the WellCare Value Part D plan for me.  Some of the other plans don't cover all of my drugs.

Looking for opinions on Wellcare , good and bad.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh , both my husband and I have Well Care for Part D.

The reason we chose, at the time neither us took any medications and it was the cheapest option available.

Fast forward to these past 3 months, my husband has had 8 prescriptions filled and the total cost to us has been less that $18.00. 

So we are pretty pleased with it.

He has a follow-up appointment with the endocrinologist on December 7th and if he adds or changes anything we are running home to see if we need to make a change before the day is out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Plan D

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gidgetgh , both my husband and I have Well Care for Part D.

The reason we chose, at the time neither us took any medications and it was the cheapest option available.

Fast forward to these past 3 months, my husband has had 8 prescriptions filled and the total cost to us has been less that $18.00. 

So we are pretty pleased with it.

He has a follow-up appointment with the endocrinologist on December 7th and if he adds or changes anything we are running home to see if we need to make a change before the day is out.

@CelticCrafter - thanks. WellCare will be a significant DROP in premium payments for me and I think that's why I'm a little skittish.

I started Medicare last October. Almost immediately, my part D provider sent me a letter and said nope, we are not going to cover 2 of your drugs past a certain date.  Too late to change.

So, when I see that WellCare says they'll cover all my drugs and charge me a low premium (compared to my current one) to do that, I get nervous.  I really appreciate you posting.

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops   I received my 2022 Aetna cost the end of September so you might want to check with your employer to see what the delay might be.