Respected Contributor

This time of the year there are quite a few postings about Medicare and I was wondering if anyone considered using a consultant?  Insurance is a personal (and complicated) thing and what works for one person may not work for another.

I used a consultant with great results.  They review all the available programs in your area and then gives you advice as to the best programs that would meet your needs. They are free and you don't have to take their advice.

I have saved a lot of money by using a consultant and have been very happy with my health plan.  I'm not sure if they are available in all states.

Honored Contributor

In the past we have used consultants-independent agents and would use them again.

Honored Contributor

Do these consultants charge a fee?  Are they license insurance agents?  Are they volunteers trained to help by your state government?

i think if someone is totally in the dark about insurance, it would be wise to speak to someone who can explain how supplements and traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans work.  

I also think that just about everyone should be shopping around each and every year during the open enrollment period for Medicare Part D.    Part D adds, removes and changes the drug tiers every year, so that your benefit can change and you have no idea until it hits your pocketbook.

Just get a list of the drugs  you take and have them run against the Part D plans available in your area.  You could save a bundle. You can change your Part D coverage every year...and many people should.

Respected Contributor

Not there yet, but I'll be tempted when my time comes.  It is so complicated!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Do these consultants charge a fee?  Are they license insurance agents?  Are they volunteers trained to help by your state government?

i think if someone is totally in the dark about insurance, it would be wise to speak to someone who can explain how supplements and traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans work.  

I also think that just about everyone should be shopping around each and every year during the open enrollment period for Medicare Part D.    Part D adds, removes and changes the drug tiers every year, so that your benefit can change and you have no idea until it hits your pocketbook.

Just get a list of the drugs  you take and have them run against the Part D plans available in your area.  You could save a bundle. You can change your Part D coverage every year...and many people should.

@Carmie - they do not charge a fee.  The insurance companies use them to bring in new customers and they are paid by the insurance companies.

Yes they are licensed and are not volunteers.  They cannot solicit people but get business on word of mouth. 

I have found them to very helpful.  They look at all plans supplementals and advantage and make recommendations.  You don't have to take their adivce.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a very smart thing, to seek the advice of a consultant.  It's really important to know what the assorted supplements cover and God forbid a wrong choice would be made because the individual wasn't well informed of the assorted plan details.  We attended an informational meeting last week and want to get more information specific to our situation so we have scheduled an appointment for the guy to come to the house. 

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie - they do not charge a fee.  The insurance companies use them to bring in new customers and they are paid by the insurance companies.

Yes they are licensed and are not volunteers.  They cannot solicit people but get business on word of mouth. 

I have found them to very helpful.  They look at all plans supplementals and advantage and make recommendations.  You don't have to take their adivce.

What you are describing is a marketing representative for an insurance company or a broker who sells insurance for more than one company.  It is true that you do not have to buy anything they are offering, but they do work on commission and some are biased to try to steer you towards the company who pays them the most.

There  is nothing wrong with using their services and most I would think are honest or they could lose their license.

You can also use your state's SHIP program.  It is free.  They have a website that you can look for information for your particular state and they provide information year around, not just during open enrollment.

SHIP is not affiliated with the insurance industry.  You can find information about them at 

Shiptacenter.org. They provide counseling and offer meetings and seminars.  They do work one on one with you if you desire. They are financed by the Federal and state government. 

I have worked with and beside SHIP in my state for many years. It's another tool to navigate through the Medicare process.

Honored Contributor

I highly recommend talking to a unbiased consultant. When I became eligible for Medicare, last year, I was at a total loss as to what to pick. I called and had a very lengthly discussion with our consultant. He was so very helpful! I plan on calling him back to discuss my prescription drug plan that I may be changing. 

"Pure Michigan"