Regular Contributor

Medicare Advantagep plans and Medicare with gap

Why would one choose an Advantage plan
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantagep plans and Medicare with gap

Because it is probably the best option for them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had an advantage plan for 7 years and have been quite happy with it. Every person needs to navigate the entire Medicare world and figure out what they need. I have not seen anything as far as the Medigap option that would benefit me.

Respected Contributor

If you are older and have a lot of health issues, I would recommend traditional Medicare.

Regular Contributor

I have had a Medicare Advange plan since I signed up for Medicare 3 years ago.   For me the Advantage plan offered more coverage than traditional medicare.   My premium is 0, have very low or no copays on most services.   Plus, I have dental cover, hearing aid coverage, my prescriptions are no cost.   I think the most that I have paid out of pocket is around $200 per year.   Of course I pay the Part B premium.   

Honored Contributor

Some people may not want to pay up front for a supplement that they may or may not use.

Respected Contributor

Im sure it depends on what Advantage Plan is available to your area.  They differ in every state and even in zip codes.  My husband is very very happy with his PPO Advantage Plan.  No deductible and no copays for office visits.  His prescription plan is included.  Thats really the big diffrence.  Many assume they are HMO plans and theyre not. You have to do your research like for any other insurance.  Pain in the neck but necessary.

Honored Contributor

Traditional Medicare with a supplemental is more expensive.  The better plans that used to be available  been discontinued.  If you already have the discontinued plans are grandfathered in, but The  prices have gone up sky high in the past few years.

All new Traditional Medicare members have deductibles and there are no Supplimental options for them that pays them. The plans that uses to pay these deductibles are no longer sold.In addition, there is no RX coverge.  It has to be purchased separately.  There is no dental or vision coverage either.

Advantage plans usually cover Hospital, professional providers, RX, Dental and vision along with other perks for 1 low price...or even with a zero monthly payment.  There are hundreds of plans available, but they are only sold in certain zip codes.  

Some states, like Florida seem to have the best selection and lower prices.  They also have a larger senior population.

For many people Advantage plans make better sense. They cost less and offer more comprehensive coverge.  For others Traditional Medicare is better.....mostly because of the area they live or the doctors and hospitals in their area.

The bottom line is probably cost.  There are people with Advantage plans  that only pay $148.40 a month out of their social security for Medicare Part B, they sign up for an Advantage plan with a zero preminum and they now have Hospital, doctor, RX drug, vision and dental.  Their total cost out of pocket is ZERO, except for the PART B Payment. Some people do have a Monthly Advantage payment, but is is normally inexpensive.

Those with TRADITIONAL Medicare still pay $148.50 a month for Part B, plus they pay hundreds for a supplement, plus they pay extra for RX and they have no dental or vision coverage.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

If you are older and have a lot of health issues, I would recommend traditional Medicare.

Why?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've looked at some advantage plans and some do have deductables, co-pays, and do not pay 100% coverage.

So I guess it very much depends on the advantage plan.

Some doctors do not take all advantage plans.

And some change their coverage or price every year.

Still the best is to get help navigating this incredible complex system of health care and what to choose by calling the SHIIP (senior health insurance information program) in your state. This is set up by the govt and is free with trained volunteers who know which coverage is best for you and your medical and financial 

circumstances. Different plans are offered in different states.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"