Valued Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage plans & inpatient rehab

I totally agree with @conlt   While all Medicare Advantgage plans are different -- my PCP's office has had signs for years saying that they will not accept any of them.

Valued Contributor

my Dr's office would close if it weren't for Advantage members...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I couldn't be happier with my Medicare Advantage plan.  I'm in network with my excellent integrative medicine MD who manages my healthcare with expertise and true caring. 

I recently had my hip replaced with the surgeon and hospital of my choice.  Everything was covered except my 2 days in the hospital (plan pays after 3 days).  The total cost was $310. and the care I got was superb.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Don't know much - but from what I've heard about M Advantage, I wouldn't be surprised about anything.  I got tricked into signing up for it and when my doctor's wife found out about it - - she had a fit.    I finally got out of it and back to what I had.  Good Luck to your friend.

@fthunt

How could you get tricked into signing up for insurance?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Don't know much - but from what I've heard about M Advantage, I wouldn't be surprised about anything.  I got tricked into signing up for it and when my doctor's wife found out about it - - she had a fit.    I finally got out of it and back to what I had.  Good Luck to your friend.

@fthunt

How could you get tricked into signing up for insurance?

People are told only about the good things an insurance plan covers,  they are not told about the things that are not covered or things that have a large deductible or copayment.  The consumer is lead to believe that the plan is right for them.

The agent doesn't lie to you, they just don't give you the complete story.  It happens all of the time.

Trusted Contributor

I agree that the consumer has a responsibility to fully explore and understand exactly what the plan does and does not offer.  I read the entire, lengthy brochure for the plan and prepared a lot of questions that were fully answered by the rep, who was quite knowledgeable.  Nothing was presented in a misleading and/or vague way.  I feel I was fully informed about the plan I was purchasing and I've had nothing but satisfaction since the plan went into effect in January.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

I agree that the consumer has a responsibility to fully explore and understand exactly what the plan does and does not offer.  I read the entire, lengthy brochure for the plan and prepared a lot of questions that were fully answered by the rep, who was quite knowledgeable.  Nothing was presented in a misleading and/or vague way.  I feel I was fully informed about the plan I was purchasing and I've had nothing but satisfaction since the plan went into effect in January.

You are a savvy consumer. Unfortunally, not all people are.  

One thing that that might be omitted is foreign expenses.  If you are a traveler or take cruises you have no medical coverage once you leave USA soil.

Many seniors are surprised to find this out, when they become sick.  Some Medicare Supplemental Plans will cover these expenses.

Sometimes the consumer doesn't inquire about foreign expenses and the agent doesn't bother to mention.

Often, you don't know what questions to ask and the agent doesn't know what you need.

Insurance is so complcated. I wish it was more simple to understand.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@pdlinda- I'm thrilled for you and hopefully that will continue for you in the future and through any serious illnesses.  You've only had the plan since this January.

Again, I hope it continues to work well for you.  I just feel really bad for my friend's situation.  This was the only insurance option given to my friend at the time of retirement.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

my Dr's office would close if it weren't for Advantage members...

@Evie2004- just a question.... how would you know what plan(s) the other patients at your doctor's office are on?  When I go to my doctor, I don't have a clue what insurance people have.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have said it many times on these boards and people always argue with me but the Medicare Advantage Plans do not pay just like Medicare. I have worked in health care specifically with the elderly as a RN executive in home care. My business is a Medicare business. I think the advantage plans are fine for a healthy individual who wants to save money on prescriptions however, I have seen many times when they don't want to take care of someone who needs more intensive care. When Medicare rolls around for me I am taking straight Medicare, a supplement to cover the other 20% and then a part D drug plan. My 91 year old mother is on this and she never pays a dime for anything other than her insurance. Please be careful with the Medicare Advantage plans, you never know when a critical illness is going to happen and you need good coverage. 

OK - first - medicare only pays for 100 days , and only under the right circumstances. BY LAW ADVANTAGE PLANS HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING MEDICARE PAYS FOR. Supplements may or may not cover nursing home care and advantage plans may or may not cover nursing home care beyond that 100 days. Every plan across the country is different.

IMO - anyone who hasn't gotten themselves a long term post hospital care policy is very very foolish as you are really playing russian roulette with your finances.