Super Contributor

Re: Medicare Advantage Plans for 2015

On 10/7/2014 terrier3 said:

ALL seniors are "on Medicare." Seniors who choose a Medicare Advantage plan are in a Medicare plan administered by a private health company.

Right. I'm on a BCBS Advantage plan, but when I changed doctors (and trying to find a new one), getting past the "what insurance do you have" question was very difficult. A lot of people think that they aren't on medicare anymore if they go on an advantage plan, but they are. The difference is that they now have to find a doctor who BOTH accepts medicare AND is in network for that Advantage plan.

If you call a doctors offices and tell them you aren't on medicare when you make an appointment, but hand them your Advantage card once you get there, you might get turned away if that doctor isn't taking Medicare patients. Even if that doctor is "in network" for your plan. You have to check!

Respected Contributor

I have never read more misinformation on one thread in my 15 or so years posting on this board.

Respected Contributor

On 10/7/2014 minkbunny said:

I have never read more misinformation on one thread in my 15 or so years posting on this board.

I don't know myself, but I do know that it can be very confusing & would recommend that people contact someone in their local community for assistance, like SHIP, etc. In large metro areas, there are usually plenty of volunteer services that assist seniors with researching such topics to help them find the best plan for them.

I will be attending an info seminar this Sat to hopefully get answers to my own questions.

Good luck to all!

Respected Contributor

I hope no one signs up for an insurance plan based on this thread. For those not sure read Terrier's posts. She does a good job of explaining the advantage plans. Everyone needs to do explore what is available to them, not what others have.
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have a drug plan with my secondary plan throught the state retirement system. I feel everyone needs to do what is best for them. As I said I had an outsider surg perform the difficult surg. Very expensive didn't pay anything, excep the co payment of $5o.oo. Also have had oxygen at night which is expensive. Our plan is a 5 star plan. It is good that others can get alot of help on this blog.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/7/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I don't know myself, but I do know that it can be very confusing & would recommend that people contact someone in their local community for assistance, like SHIP, etc. In large metro areas, there are usually plenty of volunteer services that assist seniors with researching such topics to help them find the best plan for them.

I will be attending an info seminar this Sat to hopefully get answers to my own questions.

Good luck to all!

That's true. Plans vary so much based on your location and whether your retirement provides secondary or supplementary coverage.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Valued Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}On 10/3/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/2/2014 wismiss said:

Our state switched retired employees from having a supplemental insurance plan (in addition to being enrolled in Medicare Parts A & B) to a Medicare Advantage Plan, either a choice of 3 HMOs or one PPO. It is my understanding that you still pay the Medicare premium from the SS benefit, but you are no longer a part of the Medicare plan, but are a part of a private insurance plan.

Most of the people I know have chosen the PPO option because of the freedom of choice of providers and coverage for when you travel. It is my understanding that if you need services while away from home, you can go to someone out of the plan but as soon as you are stabilized, you have to switch or be transferred to someone in the HMO plan. However, if you do not travel very much and your doctors are part of the providers of that plan, you may choose an HMO plan. That is what makes it so important for each person to learn as much about the choices and the plans so they can make a decision that meets their own individual needs.

Hoping your choice is wonderful and meets all your needs.

Just a LITTLE clarification -

ALL seniors receive health insurance through Medicare. If you are enrolled in an Advantage plan, Medicare is sending money to a private insurance company to manage your care.

This started about as an experiment. The thought was that private companies could save money & manage care more efficiently, so the gvt. actually gave them MORE money on your behalf to see if it would work. Advantage plan participants still cost the gvt. about 12% MORE than seniors in the standard plan....so it remains a program in flux. Rates and coverage options change every year - in an effort to get costs more in line. So it may be a good deal for you now...but be prepared to check plans every year to continue getting the coverage that works best for you. Insurance companies change plans, drop plans, raise rates, change drug coverage...pretty frequently.

Taking time and doing your research during open enrollment will pay off for you all year.

I am new to Medicare and you have just answered my biggest question. You can't know how much I appreciate you posting about the Advantage vs. just drug coverage. I have an Advantage Plan now but have to figure out what to do for 2015.

Thank you, thank you, a million thanks.

Super Contributor

Care to straighten us out on something????

Honored Contributor

Like what?

Please be a little more specific.

Valued Contributor

Medicare advanage plans co-pays vary by county in Pennsylvania. I work at a doctor's office and we get patients from two counties. The patients that live in the county with a city and more low income people have a less copay then people who live in the county without the city and where people have a higher income base. Same plan though.