Trusted Contributor

Medical Marijuana....asking for advice about it for pain..

I know this is a personal subject so please no one go off on me for asking please.

I live in a state that it is not in legal yet. So for those that do have access to it and use it...does it work as well as a narcotic does for you ?   or even if you have not used a narcotic your opinion please.  

I have severe fibromyalgia and Chostochondritis that came on after medications I've taken for other treatments over the past 10 yrs. and I have degen. disk issues in neck also with some arthritis.

I've weened off as far as I can go with my pain meds.  And from what I'm reading and being told by physicians that it will be here soon, but looks like a few more yrs from my research in NC.

Hubby and I are talking about me making a move soon and him in a few yrs when he retires.....to a state that it is legal in now.

Thanks so much for your your help !!

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

Re: Medical Marijuana....asking for advice about it for pain..

@deja vu 

Sorry, I don’t have any answers for your questions.

I typed “medical marijuana” in the community search bar and many threads have been posted.

I’m hopeful those who posted on the other threads will have answers for you or you could write the posters names on paper and send notifications for them on your thread. 

Esteemed Contributor

@deja vu :  Does N.C. have medical marijuana?  If so, it's worth the approx $300 per year(all in) in AZ.  DH had a lot of pain issues and, in addition to smoking it, he likes the candies and brownies.  I will caution you not to ever mention that you are using any mj or cbd product because your traditional physician will cut off any opiods you might be on (they are under tremendous pressure to do this).  Also most pain clinics (who I understand test for drugs, so same rule as above).  If nothing is legal in your state, hop a plane to Laughlin or Vegas and try it at your leisure.  Btw, I don't indulge but I go everywhere with DH.  In additional to his yearly $300, he spends about $300 mthly.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not have the OP's issues, but I do have some other chronic pain issues I live with, and will not hijack this thread with those problems.

I want to encourage the OP with pursuing pain relief in whatever way is a possibility for you and your husband. I would absolutely consider your potential solution if I could.

I believe that marijuana in any form should be a legal option without any hoops to jump through, and that is based on personal experience.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a state where it is legal (medical only).  My doctor offered to put me on it if I wanted but he told me it only works on about half the people, you have to take it every day - not just when you need it, and it is expensive plus (at least here) you have to pay an extra enrollment fee every couple of years that is hundreds of dollars.  I decided to wait.  In a few years I think they will pass laws  for recreational use and it should be easier & cheaper (still not cheap) to gain access and see if it works for me.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@deja vu  You might want to try CBD oil which has no THC in it.  It is legal in all states.   Just be sure to research a pure product as some have a tiny bit of THC which could show up in a  drug test and others are not very strong.  You also should check with your pharmacist to make sure nothing you are now taking will cause issues by using it.  My SO's pain doctor explained that it could be dangerous to take while still taking opiods as it could cause your heart rate to slow to a dangerous level and narcan would be needed. That is why opiod use should completly stop before using medical marijuana.

From what I have been reading about medical marijuana to see if it could help with my SO's severe back pain it is different in all states that have legalized it.  In CA you can have any amount you need for your issue as well as for personal use.  In GA marijuana oil is the  only thing legal and it must have a matching amount of CBD to THC but it can't be bought there.  PA has no real guidelines on how much you can have.  NY is confusing.  I haven't checked them all yet but it appears that there should be more control over it and some sights do say that each person should have a personalized prescription of THC, CBD and other ingredients to have it effective for each person and it does seem like all states have differing rules and some don't even try to compound and many are just getting high which only relaxes them with no real pain relief that from what I understand compounding does.  From my research I have found that it can do wonders for pain if compounded right.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@deja vu :  Does N.C. have medical marijuana?  If so, it's worth the approx $300 per year(all in) in AZ.  DH had a lot of pain issues and, in addition to smoking it, he likes the candies and brownies.  I will caution you not to ever mention that you are using any mj or cbd product because your traditional physician will cut off any opiods you might be on (they are under tremendous pressure to do this).  Also most pain clinics (who I understand test for drugs, so same rule as above).  If nothing is legal in your state, hop a plane to Laughlin or Vegas and try it at your leisure.  Btw, I don't indulge but I go everywhere with DH.  In additional to his yearly $300, he spends about $300 mthly.

No NC not legal yet... from what I'm reading it may be 2021 for medical...except it is allowed now for some with seizures.

I'd love to hop on a plane and try them, I'd rather not smoke, prefer any other form.. but can't afford the risk of loosing what I have now for pain. So don't know how the heck I'd even know. lol not.

thx for your response..

If I end up moving your way I may need tp pick your brain for some info though.

Honored Contributor

@deja vu -

I have a lot of back, hip etc pain, also fibro and I tried the balm (without thc).

It does help but doesn't totally take away all the pain. Also I found I got irritable; not sure if that was from it or what but when I stopped, I felt more myself.

What I like more than that are the 

Salon Pas large pads (not the ones with lidocaine which does nothing).

Plus the cbd balms, oils and everything else are expensive.

I think like someone else said that the balms and even drops without the thc are legal in every state though when you read about each state, it is not always clear. And the info states that it's not clear!

Anyway, I think there are just as good topical things out there as the mj stuff and less expensive. I'm sure now that everyone is wanting to at least try them, the prices are very high, just like gluten free was, and everything else that first comes on the market.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works, and hope you feel better.

I know it is hard to feel good when you don't feel good! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi. I have not taken or used medical marijuana but I had a friend in Maryland who had a prescription for it, she took it for cancer pain and it helped her though I don't think it completely eliminated the pain. She advised me one time to try cbd oil with thc for some pain I was experiencing. She had that too and offered some to me to try but I did not take her up on her offer bc I knew she really needed it, it wasn't cheap, and I didn't want to deplete her supply.

She had a hard time finding a doctor who was knowledgeable in medical marijuana. She didn't want to go the opioid route. When she finally did identify a physician, he advised her on the pharmacy for purchasing it, as it's not easy to find.

Wish I had more information for you. All the best to you in dealing with this. Chronic pain is so hard to manage.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@deja vu -

I have a lot of back, hip etc pain, also fibro and I tried the balm (without thc).

It does help but doesn't totally take away all the pain. Also I found I got irritable; not sure if that was from it or what but when I stopped, I felt more myself.

What I like more than that are the 

Salon Pas large pads (not the ones with lidocaine which does nothing).

Plus the cbd balms, oils and everything else are expensive.

I think like someone else said that the balms and even drops without the thc are legal in every state though when you read about each state, it is not always clear. And the info states that it's not clear!

Anyway, I think there are just as good topical things out there as the mj stuff and less expensive. I'm sure now that everyone is wanting to at least try them, the prices are very high, just like gluten free was, and everything else that first comes on the market.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works, and hope you feel better.

I know it is hard to feel good when you don't feel good! 

hey thanks, I've already been using the cbd topicals which help some....I also use the Salonpas with Lidocaine that help some at times.  I wasn't aware they had a large one without Lidocaine, I will try it next ! Smiley Happy