Honored Contributor

Re: Medical Marijuana....asking for advice about it for pain..

I just found an article saying it is being used with some success in  certain  forms of diabetes treatment ,and it does come with some warnings

Trusted Contributor

@trenet wrote:

Just like all substances,  safety of any marijuana substance

cannot be generalized. Our bodies are unique. We eat various foods, take various drugs, herbs, supplements and can react differently.  

Today’s marijuana not only stronger but, also there are many sources that are not totally what they purport to be, as well as making faulty or exaggerated claims. 

https://www.curetoday.com/articles/fda-issues-warning-to-curaleaf-for-illegally-selling-cbd-products...

As to whether anyone has ever died, I refer you to this recent article.  

https://www.newsweek.com/thc-overdose-death-marijuana-exposure-united-states-1442742

Thanks so much for spending your time on posting these links...they were both interesting to read..

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Highlighted
Contributor

re death by marijuana overdose...please read the entire article and not just the headline and first paragraph,,,its reads that scientists and doctors dont believe the claim by this coroner. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deja vu - I've posted on other threads about CBD, medical marijuana, etc. but I'll post again here if you're interested. I live in CO where medical and recreational MJ dispensaries have now been legal for years. Although I thankfully suffer no chronic pain or illnesses,  I do have scar tissue under a knee cap that can flare up badly and make hiking, skiing, etc. very painful.  A few years ago, my MD suggested I try using a topical CBD cream with a tinge of THC in it. (A drop of THC doesn't cause any "high" but helps the CBD work way better.)  That cream has been a miracle! No more pain during outdoor adventures. I've also used oral tinctures and sublingual tablets for other minor pain issues and, for me, the result has been incredible.  For example, after some dental work recently, instead of taking any presciption or OTC pain meds,  I used sublingual pain relief tabs (primarily CBD with a drop of THC). The pain was gone within 15 minutes and lasted all day. I think I took only 2 tabs over a period of 48 hours until I didn't need anything anymore. 

I don't smoke it because I don't want to put anything in my lungs other than air, but I do know people who do smoke it for pain, anxiety and other issues and get tremendous relief. They don't get high; they get relief from what is ailing them.

Additionally, I have heard from friends that relatives or others they know have completely gone off all pharma meds for such ailments as arthritis, insomnia, etc. by using topical CBD creams and oils or ingesting CBD pills or tinctures.  I have run into a whole host of people of different ages and suffering different maladies when buying topicals and have heard their stories.  Last time i went to buy more cream, I ran into two 70-something women who had both moved here from their home state that doesn't have legal MJ.  They had traveled here several times the year before to get help for their various, pretty serious ailments and got such relief that they decided to move.  They said the move and simple access has changed their lives because they were no longer housebound and in pain.  Amazing! 

That said, I believe that—like everything in life—no one thing works for everyone. All of our bodies are different. Finally, I hope you get relief from your pain really, really soon. 

Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove  what a great post and thanks for sharing your personal experiences!  A question for you....when you say a drop of THC....how would one find a cream like that in other states?  My state does have CBD oil....but not sure about getting one with just a tiny 1 drop of the THC blended in.  Is this a certain brand perhaps you use??

I am one of those people that can't tolerate any of the traditional pain medications...they ALL make me so nauseous and dizzy I have to just suffer thur all procedures with no pain relief which is just terrible for me.  If I could find something like what you are describing and only use it when having say oral surgery or other surgery procedures that would be like a miracle for me.  

I have tried CBD oil that you take orally but it has no THC and it seems to help with sleep for a few nights then it stops working.  Perhaps I need the kind with just a touch of the THC in it.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite, glad my post was helpful. Unfortunately, as I understand it, states that haven't legalized either medical and/or recreational will not allow creams, etc. to be sold with any amount of THC, even a tiny drop.  

My experience with CBD, without that drop of THC, was just like yours.  Basically no pain relief that lasted very long. To give you an idea ... both the cream and sublingual tabs that my dr. recommended for pain have a ratio of 15 mg of CBD to 0.5 mg THC. That's such a tiny dose of THC that it would be impossible for it to have a psychoactive effect, but it gives the CBD that extra boost it needs to relieve pain.  For anxiety/insomnia issues, I have a friend who takes a capsule that has a 50/50 ratio of CBD and THC. She doesn't get a high from it but it calms her mind so she stops stressing. A similar dosage, I believe, has been studied extensively in double blind clinical trials worldwide with vets suffering from PTSD.  Studies are showing great success, which is amazing. 

Respected Contributor

If you can get it, GET IT.  If you can grow it, grow it.

Medical marijuana is needed for some and taking it does not mean you are a druggie. It should be priced lower.

In some states you can legally grow your own for recreational use.

Whatever

My opinion is USE it for your discomfort.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but you may want to google CBD Oil Forum or Group.  There's a wealth of information in this closed FB group that may be of help to you in finding an answer for your issues.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

My sister used medical marijuana.  She is a breast cancer survivor.   After she had recontructive surgery she has massive pain from abdominal adhesions.   This surgery was years ago when reconstruction was done take big sections from the stomach skin to rebuild the breast.   I have literally seen her bent over from pain.   Anyway, she swears by it.  She did tell me once, that it is important to start small to figure out what works best for you.  Good luck.  Doctors will barely prescribe opiods anymore due to the misuse etc....it is nice to see that there are some new options out there.

Super Contributor

Your sister’s experience is same as mine providing tremendous relief in terms of pain.  I concur it is important to start small and work with a professional who is very familiar with one’s own circumstances. The best to you, your sister.