Respected Contributor

Re: Medical Charges

[ Edited ]

Don't come down with a Lymphoma.  I had 6 treatments with chemo and it was 33,000 dollars a treatment.  Thank goodness that the Lymphoma Society donated money to me to pay these bills and the American Cancer Society did the same thing.  Plus, I received Medical Assistance even though I was working.  I never even asked for medical assistance, the Oncologist office applied for it for me.  If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be in jail today, lol  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Ah, I didn't know that.  I knew if the hospital was a network provider they had an agreement as far as what would be paid to them.

I just found it strange that something done by a machine cost a lot more than something done by a human.

We are very fortunate, we have excellent pensioner benefits, no

co-insurance or deductibles and it's not an HMO plan. 

Out of the entire bill, including the surgeon, we will be responsible for less than 3% of it and that's because the surgeon was out of network. The insurance company paid him what they would normally allow to an in network doctor.

The new machines can cost millions!

Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I would also check with the insurance company.  Explain your situation and they can check the bill they received from your hospital.    I had a case where the code on my bill do not relate to the procedure that was done.   My hospital had to rebill with the correct code.  With the correct code all was as it should be.   I was very glad I had checked my bill and not automatically paid the original amount billed without question.  

I know this happens but sometimes the insurer won't cover charges and the doctor/hospital insists the coding is correct.  Don't know where you go from there.

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Don't come down with a Lymphoma.  I had 6 treatments with chemo and it was 33,000 dollars a treatment.  Thank goodness that the Lymphoma Society donated money to me to pay these bills and the American Cancer Society did the same thing.  Plus, I received Medical Assistance even though I was working.  I never even asked for medical assistance, the Oncologist office applied for it for me.  If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be in jail today, lol  

Just wondering, did you not have insurance?

@Blingqueen023

Respected Contributor

Re: Medical Charges

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Just wondering, did you not have insurance?

@Blingqueen023

@panda1234I've had FEderal Blue Cross since I was 17 and I'm now 64 and still carry Federal Blue Cross.  I don't have Medicare yet so my patient responsibility would have been in the thousand of dollars.  Without the medical assistance that the office applied for me and the donations from the Lymphoma Society I would have made payments for the rest of my born days.   I'm forever grateful that this Oncology Office thought of applying for medical assistance for me.  After what Federal Blue Cross paid, the medical assistance and the donations paid the balance.  The chemo cost me nothing.  

By the way if you're wondering how I'm doing  The chemo took away the Lymphoma  I'm very grateful and happy about that  I'm doing very well.  Thanks for asking. 

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023

So very glad you are doing well. Both of my parents had this and like all cancers, it was difficult. 

I was just curious about your insurance not paying for all or most of your treatment. I am not familiar with Federal Blue Cross.

It is terrible that you have the stress of your illness and on top of that financial worries. Getting sick should not cost so much.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Blingqueen023

So very glad you are doing well. Both of my parents had this and like all cancers, it was difficult. 

I was just curious about your insurance not paying for all or most of your treatment. I am not familiar with Federal Blue Cross.

It is terrible that you have the stress of your illness and on top of that financial worries. Getting sick should not cost so much.

@panda1234 I sure hope both your parents are well and they beat it.  Cancer really changes your whole life.  I wish everybody in your family much good health and happiness!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Blingqueen023

@panda1234 I sure hope both your parents are well and they beat it.  Cancer really changes your whole life.  I wish everybody in your family much good health and happiness!!!!

@Blingqueen023 Thank you for your kind wishes. They have both passed away. Their doctor said it was very unusual for two people to come down with this at the same time. They lived in a house that was almost 100 years old and we wondered if it was something in the house.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@Blingqueen023

@Blingqueen023 Thank you for your kind wishes. They have both passed away. Their doctor said it was very unusual for two people to come down with this at the same time. They lived in a house that was almost 100 years old and we wondered if it was something in the house.

@panda1234 I'm so sorry to hear that.  I'm always wondering how I got mine because I was on a blood thinner that was new on the market for a year and one of the side effects was that is may cause certain cancers.  I guess we'll never really know the answer to this one.  Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my dad this past April.  You just never get over it.  Please have a wonderful holiday weekend coming up  

Respected Contributor

you probably had a ct scan. mris are really expensive.