Honored Contributor

Does anyone have any experience with these systems?   The ones where "I've fallen and I can't get up"???  And you can contact help with a push of the button?  We're considering such a device and would appreciate any pros/cons.  TIA!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medical Alert Systems

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 

I have had   ALERT 1   for many,many years. I love them.

Just the other day I was outside doing something and had on my winter coat.well somehow it pressed the button..........lol I didn't know it..........

I looked up and saw a police car in my neighbors driveway,then I saw 8 other police cars swarm all arond my house  and cops in all their gear runnig towards me......lol

I had accently pressed my button and if you do not answer  when the speaker  asks ," L** are you ok?"  they send out the rescue squad.....lol

They also notify my family  and know where my key is.

Everyone was glad I was ok ,including ALERT 1.............

lol  this happens occasionally,they don't mind    Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had the 5StarResponse from Greatcall and really liked it. Reasonably priced, good response, and my Mom could just push the button and talk to a rep if she was feeling anxious. I could track Mom on the computer app if she was outside, and they even called me one day to let me know that Mom "butt-dialed" them and was having a lovely conversation with someone on the phone (they could hear it through her device). We had a good laugh about that. They were always responsive, calling me to let me know if Mom had summoned help. Mom is in a residential care home now and no longer needs the 5StarResponse device. I recommend it!

Edited to add: Their customer service was fabulous!

Esteemed Contributor

Have Life Line since husband passed.  Thankful haven't needed it but did activate it once and loud voice came in through the box.  Asked if I need help - I said...yes, to help open this jar.  LOL 

Had pressed the jar next to body and it hit the call button.

Have basement stairs like you see on TV - I want my alarm with me at all times.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@kaydee50 

Just the other day I was outside doing something and had on my winter coat.well somehow it pressed the button..........lol I didn't know it..........

I looked up and saw a police car in my neighbors driveway,then I saw 8 other police cars swarm all arond my house  and cops in all their gear runnig towards me......lol

I had accently pressed my button and if you do not answer  when the speaker  asks ," L** are you ok?"  they send out the rescue squad.....lol

@MalteseMomma 

OMG!, 9 cops responded?

That would've totally freaked my MIL out, my MIL is very private and doesn't like to draw attention, so that would have felt like SWAT to her, LOL!

She's had to use hers and they responded super quickly, contacted everyone, but responded at the scene in a much more discrete manner.

I'm glad you were okay!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@kaydee50 

@MalteseMomma 

OMG!, 9 cops responded?

That would've totally freaked my MIL out, my MIL is very private and doesn't like to draw attention, so that would have felt like SWAT to her, LOL!

She's had to use hers and they responded super quickly, contacted everyone, but responded at the scene in a much more discrete manner.

I'm glad you were okay!

@KingstonsMom 

I happen to be the ,  "Mayors Mom" .........lol

Esteemed Contributor
Unless falling is REALLY a serious issue/worry, would not recommend the fall alert feature. I got that first for my mother and they kept calling her to make sure she was okay. It happened once when her phone wasn’t working, so she had paramedics walk in on her while going to the bathroom. They called emergency services a few more times and we really have no idea why - it was just too sensitive. Sent that back and just using a necklace that connects to one box in her bedroom. Probably should get the one that communicates via her necklace so she can hear it better, but she’s difficult and doesn’t want (me) to spend that much on it!
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have no need for these devices yet, since we are always together.  Can see that one might be useful if you live alone but another option is to have a phone buddy where you agree to check in on one another 2-3 times during waking hours at preordained times.  My MIL lived alone and had two children who usually checked in on her everyday.  Then one weekend, her son skipped a visit or two ( he worked on his off duty days on the family ranch); her daughter took an out of town trip same weekend.  My MIL tripped over her dog, hit her head on the sink and couldn't get herself up for two days!  That really scared everybody! If she'd had a system to call a friend this could have been avoided.

Respected Contributor

FYI, Apple Watch 4 and up has a fall detection option.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208944

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave my dad the MobileOne button system for his last birthday.  So far, he has not had to use it - thank goodness! - but I know he feels safer with that button necklace around his neck.  We've talked about it.  Of course, I'm with him more hours than I'm not, but it's an added security feature and makes him feel safe.  Especially in the middle of the night.

We've tested it a couple times to make sure it's working.  In a split second after pushing the button, a loud human voice (not a recording) calls his name and asks, "Are you OK?"  And it's loud!  If Dad doesn't respond in 10 seconds, the service sends 9-1-1 emergency medical and police.  It's worth every penny!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt