Honored Contributor

đź“ť Medical ACA insurance Deadline 12/15/18 đź“ť

[ Edited ]

Apparently lots of people are not signing up for medical insurance this year. (MSNBC)

There is no mandate to have insurance like there was last year.

There are no penalties for preexisting conditions.

Apparently, according to the report just presented, it is easy to navigate the site.

On advertising, were $100,000 million spent last year on Obamacare and only $10,000million is being spent this year.

They mentioned that there are perhaps plans out there available that offer more. On Obamacare, they are saying there are $0 premiums usually available.

The reporter said that you just enter your income and the site tells you which plan.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: đź“ť Medical ACA insurance Deadline 12/15/18 đź“ť

I figured this would happen.Obama Care is wonderful if you have a low income.

if your income is middle class or higher, your premiums are super high, with high deductibles that can't be reached unless you are super ill or in a major accident.

i know many people who just paid the penalty because it was cheaper than the insurance.

My son had Obama Care with a $7000 deductible per year.  This wonderful coverage cost him about $800 a month.  He paid it for two years and never used it.

thank goodness his employer decided to offer him group insurance.  He still has to pay for it, but it is more affordable with a lower deductible.

Obama Care insurance was a joke for most people who had a good income.

Respected Contributor

My husband retired from work today.  We signed up for the Silver plan last week. If you keep your income under a certain level it's affordable, other wise it's horrible. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So let me get this right. There will be no penalty if I don't have health insurance for the upcoming year...?? ...like there was in the the past few years with ACA. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  That is true.  Affordable Care has been repealed by the current administration.

this means you will not pay a penalty for not having insurance and it also means that insurance companies can sell you insurance that does not have all of the federal mandates.

Males and older females no longer have to purchase maternity care.  You can purchase insurance with no benefits for substance abuse...in other words, you can pay less to get insurance that is more tailored to what you need or want.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@SilleeMee  That is true.  Affordable Care has been repealed by the current administration.

this means you will not pay a penalty for not having insurance and it also means that insurance companies can sell you insurance that does not have all of the federal mandates.

Males and older females no longer have to purchase maternity care.  You can purchase insurance with no benefits for substance abuse...in other words, you can pay less to get insurance that is more tailored to what you need or want.

When you get sick and the new 'junk" insurance won't cover you, the taxpayers will have to pick up the slack. Btw the ACA has NOT been repealed. The mandate has.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

if your income is middle class or higher, your premiums are super high, with high deductibles that can't be reached unless you are super ill or in a major accident.

i know many people who just paid the penalty because it was cheaper than the insurance.

My son had Obama Care with a $7000 deductible per year.  This wonderful coverage cost him about $800 a month.  He paid it for two years and never used it.

thank goodness his employer decided to offer him group insurance.  He still has to pay for it, but it is more affordable with a lower deductible.

What's "good" income? Most people with "good" income receive insurance through their employers. Obama care was certainly no joke to people with pre existing conditions or those who had no access to health insurance prior to the law being passed.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Yes, that is what the reporter said.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

What's "good" income? Most people with "good" income receive insurance through their employers. Obama care was certainly no joke to people with pre existing conditions or those who had no access to health insurance prior to the law being passed.

The plans are based on your income.  They depend on the amount of people they are insuring.  For instance there is a tax credit if you are a married couple who make under $65.800 a year on the Silver 70 PPO it costs $360 per month for both.  If your income is $66,000 that same plan will cost $1,700 per month.  The bronze plan is only $2.00 for a couple making $65,800

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

The plans are based on your income.  They depend on the amount of people they are insuring.  For instance there is a tax credit if you are a married couple who make under $65.800 a year on the Silver 70 PPO it costs $360 per month for both.  If your income is $66,000 that same plan will cost $1,700 per month.  The bronze plan is only $2.00 for a couple making $65,800

The prices are different depending on where you live, as are the plans.  Every year the plans change.  If you find one that is okay and almost affordable, it will probably not be available next year.  Many insurance companies have dropped out and do not offer it anymore.  When my son had it, there was only two insurance companies to choose from and even the cheapest plan, which he chose was super expensive.