Honored Contributor

Re: Measles making a comeback?

On 1/23/2015 Puppy Lips said:

We know a family with 5 kids where the 2nd oldest became Autistic. They did not get any of their younger 3 vaccinated. If someone honestly thinks that the shots could cause autism, I can understand trying to protect the rest of your children and taking their chances by avoiding the shots.

I honestly think the moon is made of green cheese.

There is no scientific proof that vaccines cause autism. But unvaccinated kids DO die from measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 terrier3 said:

We know a family with 5 kids where the 2nd oldest became Autistic. They did not get any of their younger 3 vaccinated. If someone honestly thinks that the shots could cause autism, I can understand trying to protect the rest of your children and taking their chances by avoiding the shots.

There is no scientific proof that vaccines cause autism. But unvaccinated kids DO die from measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc.

terrier is correct, there is no study that shows a connection between vaccines and autism.

Sure, a kid can get a vaccine and later have autism. No connection. A kid can also have ice cream and later be diagnosed with autism. Or a candy bar, or a baked potato. That does not mean cause and effect.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Has anyone here given thought to the very real possibility that measles outbreaks are not due one's measles vaccination status, but rather to one's Vitamin A levels?

There is a lot of peer reviewed, published medical research (which has not been retracted) that indicates the way to greatly diminish measles mortality rates is to give patients afflicted with measles two doses of 200,000 I U of Vitamin A for those over age 1.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/39/suppl_1/i48.full

Vitamin A deficiency is even sited as a reason for measles-related blindness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24436005

What if, instead of taking a measles vaccine, people ate their Vitamin A rich foods, instead of eating all that processed, nutrient-poor food they eat? Are those with a proper, Vitamin A-rich diet who are unvaccinated against measles anywhere near as likely to contract a severe case of measles, as people who have been vaccinated, yet have a poor diet deficient in Vitamin A-rich foods? The article below seems to indicate the answer is, "No".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11869601

Honored Contributor

This is coming back because New Age parents don't believe in vaccines and are putting their kids at risk.

Just get the vaccines, folks!

Ignorance about so many topics appears to be making a comeback in America.

No, it's coming back because, unlike natural immunity which results from having the disease usually provides lifelong immunity, vaccinations wear off. So we've moved childhood diseases to adults, where it's more dangerous in many cases.

By the way this isn't anything new, it's the reason that most colleges have required MMR boosters. Because the childhood vaccinations wore off.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 jaxs mom said:

This is coming back because New Age parents don't believe in vaccines and are putting their kids at risk.

No, it's coming back because, unlike natural immunity which results from having the disease usually provides lifelong immunity, vaccinations wear off. So we've moved childhood diseases to adults, where it's more dangerous in many cases.

By the way this isn't anything new, it's the reason that most colleges have required MMR boosters. Because the childhood vaccinations wore off.

The vast majority of those down with the Disneyland measles are children, unvaccinated children.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Jersey Born said:

Has anyone here given thought to the very real possibility that measles outbreaks are not due one's measles vaccination status, but rather to one's Vitamin A levels?

And this is the other bonkers reason why New Age parents don't get their kids vaccinated. They think that a macrobiotic, organic, vitamin-rich diet makes their kids into some kind of immunity super beings, who can't possibly get diseases because they're too healthy, and diseases are only for poor, malnourished people.

Diseases are like nits. They like clean, healthy people just as much as people with no personal hygiene.

Honored Contributor

That's one comeback I'm not rooting for.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 1/23/2015 jaxs mom said:

The vast majority of those down with the Disneyland measles are children, unvaccinated children.

And even the news reports admit that not all the children were old enough to even have been fully vaccinated against it in the first place. I remember I got chickenpox when my sister was an infant. Luckily, my mom had natural immunity from having the disease in childhood and she breastfed my sister so she got immunities from my mom. The idea that every child that gets a communicable disease suffers from medical neglect is ridiculous. Which is what some posters are implying.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

The anti-vaxxers want everyone to think otherwise. This topic drives me nuts because I have a friend who won't vaccinate her beautiful son for fear he's going to get autism. I just want to smack her sometimes. Ugh!

Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Clover29 said:
On 1/23/2015 Jersey Born said:

And this is the other bonkers reason why New Age parents don't get their kids vaccinated. They think that a macrobiotic, organic, vitamin-rich diet makes their kids into some kind of immunity super beings, who can't possibly get diseases because they're too healthy, and diseases are only for poor, malnourished people.

Diseases are like nits. They like clean, healthy people just as much as people with no personal hygiene.

I guess you didn't bother to read the articles provided. The information I provided has absolutely nothing to do with New Age parents.

It is well known in medical circles by pediatricians, medical researchers, and even members of the World Health Organization that, "Vitamin A deficiency is a recognised risk factor for severe measles."

I guess the World Health Organization and medical professionals are bonkers, too, by your definition.