Honored Contributor

May Never Get Another Flu Shot

[ Edited ]

DH got his flu shot a couple of weeks ago and had minor symptoms. Tired and achy and no appetite. He was that way for about 3 days.

I  had mine day before yesterday  and I was up from 10 pm till 7 am with some of the worst diarrhea I've ever had in my life. It was so bad I contemplated making a bed in  the bath tub.   It's like it didn't have a turn-off on the faucet. It's called the senior dose.  I'm exhausted. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the flu shot? Neither DH or I have ever had this happen before.

Trusted Contributor

Re: May Never Get Another Flu Shot

I never had any side effects from mine, DH neither.

And he has Crohns disease, so he gets diarrheah easily.

Hope ya'll are feeling better!

Respected Contributor

I would report that to the place that gave you the shot that is awful!  My husband had the senior version and had no symptoms.  I have never heard of that symptom but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, especially if you eat the same food as your husband and he had no stomach issues.  Hope your feeling better.

Honored Contributor

I have not.  But I don't get the senior version because of other rough side effects.  Same with my sister.

Even though I'm a senior, I just get the "regular" dose flu vaccine and don't have any problems.  Nor have I gotten the flu since getting the shots.

Respected Contributor

Sorry you've had to deal with that. This is just more proof that everyone is different and these 'one-size-fits-all' shots don't account for that fact.

Honored Contributor

You can choose to get the regular shot rather than the senior one.  Just make sure they know your wishes and don't let them try to talk you into something that you don't want.

As for me, the last flu shot that I got was sometime in the mid 1990s.  I have gotten bad colds but not the flu in decades.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never gotten a flu shot and frankly, I don't plan on ever getting one.  I would rather take my chances on my own.  Hope you feel better soon.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have never gotten a flu shot and frankly, I don't plan on ever getting one.  I would rather take my chances on my own.  Hope you feel better soon.

Same

Valued Contributor

My dear sister and I had flu shots for over 30 years and never experienced diarrhea from them. I've had the senior flu shot for years.

What  you described is similar to a stomach virus or food poisoning, First, you should see a doctor to eliminate those possibilities, food poisoning can be deadly.

Respected Contributor

How awful.  I've  been getting the senior shot for years with no reaction but a sore arm for a day.