Super Contributor

Part of the reason people were told not to wear masks if they weren't sick was to preserve the supply for health care workers. If you are sick, you should wear one to protect others. Healthcare workers are wearing them because when testing for Covid-19 the patient cannot wear a mask. Try having severe respiratory problems and breathing through any mask.

The regular surgical masks keep out larger particles, such as bacteria, but viruses are smaller which is why N95 masks are preferred as they keep out much smaller particles. 

Any mask will lose some of its effectiveness when it becomes moist, and we all lose moisture during exhalation. The cotton covers can be washed and reused, particularly if they have a mask inside. or an N95 filter.  

At this point, any barrier is better than nothing.  The best thing is to stay home as much as possible, limit grocery trips, and stay as far away from other people as possible.  Good health to you.

Respected Contributor

i appreciate all the messages.  i do understand more now so thank you so much.  so far when anything i see about the virus on tv many people are wearing a mask. i guess they feel more secure with one, even if it might not help!

Honored Contributor

If you own any masks or respirators now then don't waste them by wearing them if you are not sick. You may regret it if you run out and need it if you do become sick.

Respected Contributor

thanks so much. good to remember and I will!!!

Honored Contributor

The national cathedral found 5,000 masks they had stored away for years.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Those are probably expired. Masks and respirators come with expiration dates posted on their packaging.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Those are probably expired. Masks and respirators come with expiration dates posted on their packaging.

I do wonder,if they will be used any how.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

True, they say not only do masks help protect you from others...they also keep you from touching your face, thus keeping you safer.  

Someone on a bus in China exposed 9 people around the bus to his germs. Yet anyone on the bus who was wearing a mask was not infected. That's more than coincidence.... And they mostly wear plain cloth ones - nothing fancy.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wow do all masks???

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@SilleeMee wow do all masks???

@FlowerBear 

Yes, because the materials used to make them start to breakdown and that will make them ineffective.