Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mask at the Gas Station?

I have wore one when there were several people at different pumps. Last time I got gas, I was the only one when I got there, I was at a station with only 2 pumps- I didn't put on my mask. Of course, a man pulled up to the other pump while I was filing up. He was wearing a mask. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

I am glad to see you say that some businesses are open. I know the small  restaurant businesses generally operate at a not very big profit margin. Like our weather, those certainly won't be able to survive, come the cold weather.

Have seen some restaurant owners on TV that are only open 25% capacity, and they say "it's only a matter of time", and they will be out of the business. I am sure there are many small businesses that are in the same financial shape.

Would certainly help some of them if those making decisions about helping them would actually do something. Without  "whatever they call its financial help", it's over for many.

• hckynut
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  NYC isn’t going to be able to have indoor dining at any capacity till the end of Sept. I think. They are having terrible times and will close if they haven’t already.

When all first closed around me and all that was open was take out, the residents in town did their best to support them by ordering take out as much as possible. Luckily they are all still on business. 

Everyone around here did their best to do what they could to keep numbers down. We were a hotspot for awhile as there is a certain sect who wouldn’t cooperate. Eventually things cleared up and we are doing well.

Honored Contributor

I always wear a mask at the gas pumps....If other people are using the pump next to me. I wipe the pump handle with a wipe and put the wipe over the handle to hold while pumping the gas.
Esteemed Contributor

I wear a mask anytime I'm away from my home.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Some people wear masks when driving alone in a car.  Others wear masks at home when they live alone and are inside.  I've see other people wear a mask covering just their mouths and not their noses.  I guess if you don't know how Covid-19 is transmitted, you wouldn't know how or when to wear a mask or wash your hands.

I guess if a pandemic has killed almost 200,000 people in the U.S., it might be a good idea for everyone to know the facts about the virus!

@fortune 

When I'm running errands - popping into and out of the grocery, hardware store, post office, etc. I don't bother to take off my mask every time I get back into the car.  I'm comfortable wearing it and don't want to keep taking it on and off. So those people you see driving alone and wearing a mask may be doing the same thing as me.  It has nothing to do with not knowing the facts. Geez.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@fortune wrote:

Some people wear masks when driving alone in a car.  Others wear masks at home when they live alone and are inside.  I've see other people wear a mask covering just their mouths and not their noses.  I guess if you don't know how Covid-19 is transmitted, you wouldn't know how or when to wear a mask or wash your hands.

I guess if a pandemic has killed almost 200,000 people in the U.S., it might be a good idea for everyone to know the facts about the virus!

@fortune 

When I'm running errands - popping into and out of the grocery, hardware store, post office, etc. I don't bother to take off my mask every time I get back into the car.  I'm comfortable wearing it and don't want to keep taking it on and off. So those people you see driving alone and wearing a mask may be doing the same thing as me.  It has nothing to do with not knowing the facts. Geez.

@shoesnbags 

I'm talking about those people who put a mask on for just driving alone.  Your situation certainly requires wearing a mask!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I most certainly wear a mask when putting gas in the car.  Our gas pumps have 2 different sides so that someone else can be right on the other side while putting gas in their car and  be much closer than 6 feet away from me.

So to protect that person in case I were to have the virus and a breeze just happens to come along, my mask is on.

I also wear the mask to protect myself.  Especially if the person on the other side of the pump doesn't have a mask.  Some research and my intuition tells me that if that person were to be contagious and I am in the direct line of that breeze that a mask over my face gives me more protection than if I didn't have the mask.  I still might contract the virus, but it could be a milder case since the mask will most probably filter some of it out & I would not receive the total viral load as compared to not having a mask on.  And there is some research to somewhat support that.  My theory as a nurse has always been better to be safe than sorry.  

I am not concerned about seeing people wear masks as long as they are wearing them properly.  I really don't care if someone is riding in their car apparently alone wearing a mask, is wearing one outside, etc.  At least they are wearing a mask. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *