Honored Contributor

Sorry but I dont agree.  I go for walks around my neighborhood and you will see an occasional person walking.  I can always cross the street or walk in the street.  I'm not going to wear a mask while walking or going outside to get the mail.  Who am I protecting when there is no one around?

Now if I lived in an area that was very congested then I would wear a mask outside more often.

When I go to the store I bring a mask in the car and put it on in the parking lot before I go in.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 Because there are too many untruths, ifs, ands, or buts.  Hopefully the truth will come out.

Respected Contributor

In my area, we've had mandatory masks for a good while. We're not required to wear them while exercising, but extra distancing is recommended at those times.

Of course,  most will verbalize they wish we didn't have to wear them, and they hope it won't need to become a permanent requirement of our 'new normal', but I haven't seen one person not complying, or starting a fuss. 

At first, I kinda resented having to wear one, but as the saying goes: 'Almost everything becomes tolerable, when it happens by degrees.' Now it's just part of my outfit. I keep reminding myself it could be a lifesaver.  But, I'm also happy to be part of setting an example.

I find masks uncomfortable, so if I could step up for the cause, smiling when no one can even see it, everyone else should be able to, as well. 

Honored Contributor

Well if you're wearing a mask you are protected from "droplets."  

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 Yes, even where masks are required, this is what most of us do, too. No mask when exercising.  We just give one another distance. Walking to the mailbox is fine, too. And, certainly driving alone, masks aren't required. There are lots of times when it's not necessary and perfectly safe to go without.

I keep a mask ready in my car, too.  It goes on when I reach my destination.  That's wherever I will have to mingle with the public. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I agree but I live in Florida and masks are not required here. I rarely see anyone wearing a mask or social distancing. I doubt making masks mandatory would make much difference here. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with you, since this is an issue that has consequences on others, unlike say, wearing seat belts, which doesn't affect anyone but the wearer.  It's only for the wearer's safety, yet it's the law.

But....with so many defiantly refusing to put a mask on, no matter what our country's top doctors are saying about how science has shown wearing one does substantially cut the risk of spreading the virus, I think it would be next to impossible to enforce.   We know it's plain selfishness, and this pandemic has really brought out the worst in some.

There is the "It's my choice not to wear one , this is a free country" group and for some reason, the mask issue puts them over the edge.

Super Contributor

Re: Mandatory masks!

[ Edited ]

This will never happen nor should it.  There is no way to enforce it.  I don't wear a mask when walking outside or driving.  We are still in phase 0 here and masks are not mandatory.  Do you really think police are going to arrest people or issue citations because someone isn't wearing a mask?  It's not going to happen.   I worry for some of the people on these boards whose lives have become consumed with fear about daily living.  All we can do is take the precautions that are right for each of us and respect people's right to make their own decisions. 

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Though I certainly understand your point ,that would never fly in a free society.Establishments can require it as a condition of entry.But I doubt a blanket law like that could be enforced in general.

@NicksmomESQ     how come it worked for cigarettes? That is a blanket law to save lives no different than complying to wear a mask to save lives

You can't smoke outside where you live?

@pigletsmom   In state parks etc....no.  And if smoking outside you must be   At least 16 feet away from any store front.