Trusted Contributor
Nothing to be afraid of. I have had them every year since age 40. Now am 58. My Mom has had breast cancer and I will always get them.
Respected Contributor

Re: Mammograms yes or no

[ Edited ]

Wow, you are playing with fire.  Mom died of BC in the mid 70s so I have been having mammos since I was 18 and I got breast cancer at 57  - never once have I believed it was due to mammos.  Not only that, a tiny tumor was found during a mammo/followed by a clinical exam by GYN.  Though tumor was tiny it had spread and was extremely aggressive ("didn't have clear margins" after removal) and I had 2 surgeries, 10 chemos and 40 radiation treatments - 14 months from start to finish when you add in the recovery time your body needs before moving onto the next phase of treatment.  In my case had I waited till there were symptoms, I'd have been dead.  

When you are sitting in a recliner with an IV of poison  going into your veins, it's a little too late to cry and wonder if it could have  been avoided.  Sorry to be so blunt but blunt isn't anything to what you will experience if you get cancer.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Dr says get and I have read so many times that those that get regular ones get breast cancer. I am scared to even get one.  What do you all think?

When I brought up what I read to him, he seemed to not like it at all. Said it is fine to get them.

Look at it this way.  You can get cancer with or without a mammogram...wouldln't you rather know early on if something is there?  I always got a yearly mammo and for years everything was fine.  And then it wasn't.  But, I'm here as a survivor 11 years later because it was found early.  And I have a mammogram to thank for it being discovered when it was.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear   I can't speak for everybody, however I can tell you that I have been getting a mammogram every since I was 25.  I'm going on 57 and so far no radiation issues.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@maestra   if you dont like what i post dont read it. as simple as that. if i feel like sharing about products i am allowed.

Respected Contributor

Thank you to all that posted your kind messages. I have a mammo scheduled!!

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Good!  And we all hope that it's completely normal!

Super Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

This is excellent news!  Thanks for the update. No matter the method used to help convince you to go, it was done from a good place from each person. Let us know the results. 

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@maestra   if you dont like what i post dont read it. as simple as that. if i feel like sharing about products i am allowed.

as I am also.

Respected Contributor

Honestly, I CAN NOT imagine not getting a mammogram.  I don't understand what would hold you back.