Respected Contributor

Mammograms yes or no

[ Edited ]

Dr says get and I have read so many times that those that get regular ones get breast cancer. I am scared to even get one.  What do you all think?

When I brought up what I read to him, he seemed to not like it at all. Said it is fine to get them.

Honored Contributor

It's best not to google medical info.  Speaking for myself, I get one every year.  Haven't had breast cancer.  I will continue to get one.  It's a personal decision.  Have you talked about your fears with your doctor?  He/she knows your health history and is better informed on the topic.

Super Contributor

Is this a serious post?  How could you ever think doctors are sending their patients to get a test that causes cancer?  I my opinion, only a fool would ignore her breast health. 

Contributor

Absolutely YES.  I had mammograms every other year since I was 30.  After 50 I began having them once a year.  In 2012 I went for my regular mammogram and it detected an abnormality.  After a repeat mammogram, and an ultra sound, then a biopsy, it was determined that I had breast cancer.  However, I was very lucky.  The tumor was slightly less than a centimeter and the surgeon joked that the doctor probably removed most of it during the biopsy.  Unfortunately, because of the makeup of the tumor, I still had to undrego chemo and radiation, but also because of the makeup of the tumor, (triple negative) it is also more aggressive, so had I not had the mammogram, who knows how fast it could have grown, or what the outcome could have been.  I continue to have a mammogram every year and I have been cancer free since my last treatment in 2012.  I also decided to have mammograms annually because both my mother and her sister were diagnosed with breast cancer back in the 1980s.  Yes, I was tested for the BRACA genes, and I tested negative.  

If you are hesitant because you want more info, get a second opinion from another doctor.  You are your own best advocate.  I feel blessed that I had both an oncologist and surgeon that I really liked and trusted.  If you know someone who has undergone treatment, ask them if they liked their doctor and go from there.  That is what I did and I was very happy with the results.  And lastly to address your statement that women get get mammograms get breast cancer, well, men get breast cancer and they don't get mammograms.  And it is more common than you might think.  The test itself has nothing to do with whether or not you will get breast cancer.

I'm not a medical professional and I can only offer you my honest opinion based on my own experience.  I wish you all the best in reaching the decision that is right for you.

Respected Contributor

@GraceLady  if you read about this online you will see tons of information saying it can cause cancer

Honored Contributor

My doctor says it's up to me if I want one every year or not, I'm 68. I have been getting mammos since I was 50 I think and only had a scare one time. Years ago when the screening equipment was young I bet you did get a good shot of radiation. I read some where that having a mammo exposed you to about the same amount of radiation you would be exposed to on a Trans Atlantic flight. Now, how many of us make a Trans Atlantic flight every year? The xray tech told me the radiation is not an issue anymore because the equipment they use today does not emit as much radiation.

Respected Contributor

Yes...don't end up wishing you had.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@GraceLady  if you read about this online you will see tons of information saying it can cause cancer

I think you need to listen to your doctor and not to questionable online qwap.  

Honored Contributor

It's good to get a Mammogram as it detects cancer.  I go next week for mine.  I am 69 and have been having Mammograms for many years.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Wait.  You've never had mammo?  Ever?  I think you're scared that it will turn up something and you never went and one performed.  If that is the case.