Honored Contributor

Re: Mammograms, Office Wouldn't Do

@reiki604 wrote:

As a 2x breast cancer survivor, I can't help but wonder.......if you don't have a PCP and don't need a referral for a mammogram, what happens if the mammo shows something and you need a sonogram or a biopsy. Is that the time you want to start running around looking for a PCP and waiting for a new patient visit? Who will send you to a surgeon and do any pre op testing? I know the last time I was diagnosed, it took about a month or so until my surgery was performed and I had all tests and docs ready to go. I can't even imagine having to start the process at that point give the emotional and physical stress a cancer diagnosis causes.

@reiki604Just want to say I'm glad you are a survivor.  Be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

As a 2x breast cancer survivor, I can't help but wonder.......if you don't have a PCP and don't need a referral for a mammogram, what happens if the mammo shows something and you need a sonogram or a biopsy. Is that the time you want to start running around looking for a PCP and waiting for a new patient visit? Who will send you to a surgeon and do any pre op testing? I know the last time I was diagnosed, it took about a month or so until my surgery was performed and I had all tests and docs ready to go. I can't even imagine having to start the process at that point give the emotional and physical stress a cancer diagnosis causes.

@reiki604Just want to say I'm glad you are a survivor.  Be well.

Thank you! It means a lot.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

You have to have a doctor's order to do a mammogram.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Icegoddess  Insurance companies do not word things to get out of paying for services.  Your benefits are listed clearly.

You are responsible for knowing those benefits, and you alone.  You should call the insurance company and ask before you receive services so you don't get any surprises.

@Carmie, you are correct.  I ran into this several months ago when I found out when reading my contract that our insurance doesn't cover a colonoscopy.  Had I not read that contract, I never would have known that.   

If you ever have symptoms and your doctor orders a colonoscopy as a diagnostic procedure, it is probably covered.

Your insurance might not cover a colonoscopy if done as a routine preventative service.

It's always good to read and know your benefits before you consent to medical procedures.

@Carmie, diagnositic is covered.  Preventative is not.  I was self-pay.  On one hand that was very good though.    

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604, you bring up a very good point.  I don't know.  I have always felt it was very important to have a PCP and as a female, a gyno. I know most doctors around here are part of a healthy system.  And under that health system's guidelines, you have to be seen once a year for a physical or you are no longer considered a patient.  Trying to get into a system as a new patient is a nightmare and can be quite a long wait. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@reiki604, you bring up a very good point.  I don't know.  I have always felt it was very important to have a PCP and as a female, a gyno. I know most doctors around here are part of a healthy system.  And under that health system's guidelines, you have to be seen once a year for a physical or you are no longer considered a patient.  Trying to get into a system as a new patient is a nightmare and can be quite a long wait. 

A problem was discovered on my routine, non referred mammogram and I did not have a PCP.  The doctor who read the mammogram ordered a sonogram right there and then.  I had one at the same visit.

Then I had a biopsy done at the same place as the mammogram and then a CT scan.  From there I was sent to a breast surgeon.

I didn't then or do I now have a PCP.  I am scheduled for mammogram tomorrow afternoon.  The results will be sent to the surgeon's office.

Trusted Contributor

By law anyone can get a screening mammogram without a referral, if you are past screening age, (I think it is 40). 

However, many mammogram screening centers require that you have a doctor where your results can be sent.
 (It could be your gynecologist, or some other doctor, not necessarily a primary care physician.)  So, @cuddlesmama, it can be a Catch-22. 

If you have seen other doctors, you might have her/him give you suggestions of a new doctor, or even act as temporary go-between so, you can get your yearly checkup.

Honored Contributor

I am at my mammogram appointment now and the cluster in the reception area right now is unbelievable. People are so confused about Medicare. People don't have orders, signing waivers, other regular people are being told they need orders when the doctor said they didn't.

I'm sitting here with my order waiting my turn. I hope I speed through
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

In this area of WV, no one has a mammogram until they have seen a medical provider and had the hands on physical breast examination.   Once that is done, you are given a signed physician order to schedule the mammogram.

ALL mammograms are done at the hospital, as we have no other radiology options in this area.   There is no walking into the radiology department and “requesting” a mammogram on your own.   Presenting a signed order shows you have seen the doctor, had the hands on physical examination, and are completing the process with the mammogram.    My results are sent to my GYN provider who is the ordering physician, as well as to my medical provider.