Honored Contributor

Re: Mammograms, Office Wouldn't Do

If there weren't requirements in place for medical testing anyone could have anything done without a doctors order.

Frequent Contributor

The facility that I go to get my Mammograms, no longer requires a order from my doctor.   They used to, but a couple of years ago they changed it so it is no longer required.   Probably want to make sure that more women get a mammogram.

Valued Contributor

I would ignore the reviews. People who have a good experience are less likely to write a review. Visit the doctor and make up your own mind.

Honored Contributor

Yes, where I go they require referral from my Doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@quilter61 wrote:

The facility that I go to get my Mammograms, no longer requires a order from my doctor.   They used to, but a couple of years ago they changed it so it is no longer required.   Probably want to make sure that more women get a mammogram.

@quilter61 

Same with my facility. I do not need a Doctor referral. Its part of the Kaiser System, so they have my records available for review, so I guess they can tell if its time for my annual or not.  Kaiser even has walk in appointments available.

Respected Contributor

In my area I just call the hospital office that handles mammograms and schedule my yearly mammogram on my own with no questions.  When I arrive for my appointment they ask who I want the results sent to (which I’ve always had) so I don’t know if they would deny me at that point when I was already there.  I’m actually surprised they denied you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is standard procedure.  The mammography place has to send the results somewhere.

I requested a mammogram two years ago and I do not have a PCP or a GYN.  I needed to give them a name, so I told the lady who scheduled it to pick a GYN for me.  She did.

They found something concerning that requires follow-up.

I get mammograms every six months now and my results are sent to a surgeon who specializes in breast care. I see her for breast exams and consults twice a year too now.

Somewhere a GYN Office has received my results for the first two mammograms I had and is probably wondering who I am.

I asked the mammography clinic to remove the GYN doctor's name from my file.

Trusted Contributor

You may not need a referral to get your mammo but you'd have to pay yourself. The place I go to, Radiology Limited, advertises that women don't necessarily need a referral. No clue how much one would cost out of pocket.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depends on your insurance.  I do not need a referral to any doctor, or for a breast exam/mammo - I just let them know who gets the results.  But when it comes to ultrasounds, etc.  for other things my doc just sends the order for what needs to be done to where *I* choose to go.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

In my area I just call the hospital office that handles mammograms and schedule my yearly mammogram on my own with no questions.  When I arrive for my appointment they ask who I want the results sent to (which I’ve always had) so I don’t know if they would deny me at that point when I was already there.  I’m actually surprised they denied you.  

Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it isn't happening.  95% of insurers require a referral....not an order.....a referral for mammograms and generally, it's not a problem because they call your PCP and ask them to put in the referral and there is no need to involve the patient.  That is what happens with you, me too.  However, the OP doesn't have a PCP.  So, of course, they won't scheduled one for her because the insurer won't pay them without a referral.  They can't do them for free.