Super Contributor

Does anyone here have this or know anyone that does? I have two genes that are heterozgous (the worst type) and one of my doctors who was cc'd on the results called to refer me to a hematologist. ??? The doctor that ordered the test didn't say anything to that affect. I guess since I have some liver inflammation and a high sed rate, this is her thinking.

anyone? (yes, have appt with ordering doc at end of February, just need a little "real" input.

thanks

cath

Regular Contributor

Hi Cath,

My daughter, age 40 also has the same two gene mutations (C677T and A1298C.) On a severity from most to least Compound Heterozygous is number two out of 5. Her papers say it is fairly common with 44% of the population being heterozygous for the MTHFR mutation.

Daughter wrote on her papers that it is inherited.

After giving birth to two daughters she suffered 3 miscarriages so had bloodwork done which resulted in this diagnosis.

She was told to take 4 mg of Folic Acid or Folgard and an 81 mg aspirin per day.

Look online to see what the implications are of this type of mutation.

Here is the good news "There are a few positives to this disorder. Because folate is necessary for cellular division, there is support that shows having this disorder can actually keep certain types of cancer cells from multiplying as rapidly, so there are some benefits from having this mutation".

Hope this helps.

Mocha

Super Contributor

Mocha, thanks so much for your reply, it makes me feel better.

It's good to know about the cancer cells from multiplying but it also states that it can cause cancer from what I have read. The doc who ordered the test put me on "Vessel Care" supplement, hopefully this will help. I have been so sick for so long, it's a relief to get any diagnosis.

thanks again

Frequent Contributor

""MTHFR gene mutation"" - Really? Naked Limbeaux gets reported but not this? Come on people!

Super Contributor
On 1/24/2014 Dilbert Deaux said:

"MTHFR gene mutation" - Really? Naked Limbeaux gets reported but not this? Come on people!

It stands for Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, MTHFR for short. It is serious business, thank you very much.