Respected Contributor

Re: MSG and Excitotoxins in food effects article ADD?

@SilleeMee, but what does that mean? grapes, raises and chocolate are poison to many dogs- yet we have tolerated those things for centuries as humans....we can digest foods that animals can't Vice versa.

Poodlepet2 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@SilleeMee, but what does that mean? grapes, raises and chocolate are poison to many dogs- yet we have tolerated those things for centuries as humans....we can digest foods that animals can't Vice versa.

Poodlepet2 

I asked my vet and he said Xylitol causes liver failure, low blood sugar and seizures in dogs which can lead to death. @Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Never mind:  my mind is a bit scattered as we speak...I mean no disrespect.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Thank you for the link. I personally think it is a bunch of "who shoot john", as Judge Judy likes to say. 

So now, if a person feels they like a certain restaurant food, it must have something bad in it. Not sure how a person would find out, short of getting a tour of the kitchen and all a restaurant's storage places. Worked in many, and they have plenty of places to look.

With the foods I have eaten for decades, I will continue to eat. The ones I like and the ones I love. So this is now a possible cause for all the A's and D's in kids? Didn't come even close to convincing me.

And right next to it on my page is: "Organic Juice Cleanse"?  The Colon is a self cleaning organ and buying into the "it's full of toxins if you don't XYZ"? Pure BS to me. That didn't help being right next to the article blaming good tasting food. For all the CAP letters.

Thanks for giving me a look see.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut@Poodlepet2@SilleeMee

Here is what I think:

After chewing Xylitol gum like a fiend for months, I found my face breaking out, uncontrollable I t c h I n g and hives, and tingling/numbness in my legs. I stopped chewing it yesterday and looked it up to see if what I was feeling was documented as possible anywhere. 

It is in literature. 

I had no tingling sensation last night for the first time in months. That is all.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I taught students with EXTREME ADHD. There is an ongoing discussion in our family -- some feel that there is "no such thing as ADHD" because "we didn't have ADHD when I went to school."

I would like opinions on something.

Let's suppose that a child is raised in a home on "junk food." (Many of my students were left to fend for themselves and junk food seemed to be what they were used to eating.)

I just wonder if those same kids had been raised on healthier foods (with some attention to quality protein, etc) would they still show these signs of ADHD when they became teens?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

I taught students with EXTREME ADHD. There is an ongoing discussion in our family -- some feel that there is "no such thing as ADHD" because "we didn't have ADHD when I went to school."

I would like opinions on something.

Let's suppose that a child is raised in a home on "junk food." (Many of my students were left to fend for themselves and junk food seemed to be what they were used to eating.)

I just wonder if those same kids had been raised on healthier foods (with some attention to quality protein, etc) would they still show these signs of ADHD when they became teens?

I don't have any answers. What I do know is that there are many more chemicals in our food, as well as in other things in our environment, than there was in years gone by. The list keeps getting longer.  Their effects on us are yet to be determined. Many chemicals are known neurotoxins so reversing the damage done by them is somewhat of a challenge. The key is to limit exposure to those toxins. Hopefully we will someday find a way to reverse the negative effects of chemicals.

@LTT1

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

ITA!!!

Respected Contributor

@LTT1, a year or so ago, I saw this news story about nutrition in schools and in many areas, it's no better at home.

There were a couple of charter schools in disadvantaged areas that were set up: the one admission requirement?  No junk or refined anything in the school cafeteria at school or at home.

Many of the kids were from single parent homes,BUT parents were required to talk to teachers once a week and sign off on all homework assigned.

Test scores were phenomenal and average to above average...There is a combination of good nutrition and engaged parents-a very basic platform on which to build academic success.

There were a couple of kids who had ADHD, and were reported as being "problem" kids in their regular public school before transferring.....teachers reported few problems...

You have to wonder....the diet that was described sure sounded like the Feingold Diet- but there is a "nature/nurture issue so nobody was really saying what really worked, but the emphasis of the story was on the role of nutrition in education. I, for one, believe it is important.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2

Well, here is a glimpse of "my kids."

7:30am school starts

12:20 lunch

so, we have nearly 5 hours without food

Kids go to lunch and do heaven only knows what --- no enough time to even buy "fast food" -- all of the restaurants are packed at this time; lots of wrecks

1:10 last class

2:45 school ends

So, my decries with their licenses solved it this way!

We will just TAKE our buffalo wings with sauce into math class and eat at our desk! 

A mess! And don't you know there was wing sauce all over those math papers that weren't done.

I could go on. The only thing worse was the poor babies who brought in chips, candy bar and Coke for lunch instead.

Oh dear.