Respected Contributor

No makeup allowed, especially if your head or neck will be in the tube.  I've had many dozens of MRIs in over 30 years at NIH. The "M" in MRI stands for "magnetic," and the magnets are extremely powerful.  Even the slightest bit of metal in makeup (titanium oxide, as one of countless examples) can distort/interfere with the magnetic waves emitted by the instrument.

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

I learned back in my early 30's to never wear makeup to any medical appointment. I was really, really sick, but the doctor kept telling me how good I looked. I am talented at applying my face, but I learned doctors need to see my skin as it can be an indicator of how poorly I feel.

Opthamologists don't like cosmetics coming off on their equipment. The first thing the dentist says is please use this tissue to remove your lipstick. I decided trying to impress medical personnel with my artistic makeup abilities was a waste of time.

@On It  I never wear eye makeup to my opthamologist visits .   I do however wear full makeup, no false lashes though , to all other doctor appointments.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I wasn't given any instructions but did read online that you should not  wear any makeup , deodorant , hairspray or lotions .   I realize it probably depends on the area being scanned .also it stated it could be dangerous due to metal in these items.  That's scary .  Having the cervical upper spine and lower back.    I had an MRI several years ago and wore makeup and everything ,  only had to remove underwire bra.   I'm wondering if anyone was told not to wear certain cosmetics  when you had one.

@Kitty Galore  I remember I was told not to wear these things when having a mammogram done. I've had a few of the cervical spine done. Of course the bra comes off. Come back and tell us how it went.

@Sage04  the bra I understand !    I will come back and post . 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I had one last month of my liver and I was told no make-up, lotions or deorderant....and jewelry of coarse.

@Nataliesgramma  So they did instruct you not to wear make up .?  See no one actually from the facility told me I read it online when googling MRI.   I guess if important I would have been told when I spoke to the scheduler.    The reason stated is most cosmetics contain metal like iron oxide and so do lotions and hair products.  It could cause burns on the face !!,     I get jewlery and zippers etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

No makeup allowed, especially if your head or neck will be in the tube.  I've had many dozens of MRIs in over 30 years at NIH. The "M" in MRI stands for "magnetic," and the magnets are extremely powerful.  Even the slightest bit of metal in makeup (titanium oxide, as one of countless examples) can distort/interfere with the magnetic waves emitted by the instrument.

@vsm @Maybe today's magnets are stronger then when I had mine done 3 yrs ago.  Yes  was stated It does have to do with them metals in the make up and lotions .  I will call and ask so I can be sure don't want burns on my face or have to have it done over cause of distortion.

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@vsm @Maybe today's magnets are stronger then when I had mine done 3 yrs ago.  Yes  was stated It does have to do with them metals in the make up and lotions .  I will call and ask so I can be sure don't want burns on my face or have to have it done over cause of distortion.

Yes, just ask, @Kitty Galore .  It's not a question of burns. You want the scans to be accurate.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I never wear makeup to the doctor or the dentist... why would you?

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I never wear makeup to the doctor or the dentist... why would you?

Well because there are women who want to , and I want to !  I like to put my best look forward !  I'm certain others do as well .  

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@vsm   I'm thinking it depends on the mri scanner probably,  I've had 3 previous mris and wore my regular makeup which is bare minerals so certain there is minerals  in it. No problem  and not  told to take it off or not wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

You said in your opening post you had an "MRI several years ago", now it's several?  When is your MRI again, and what did ya decide?

My wife didn't ask any of the rescue units to wait, while she put on her makeup, before rushing her to the ER. Just wonderin when is it ok for the ladies, not to be seen by anyone, when outside their home without makeup?  👀

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)