Respected Contributor

No magnetic lashes.

Honored Contributor

I never wear makeup to any medical or dental appointment.

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore Usually the advice to not wear lotions, makeup etc. is related to the sensitivity of workers to fragrances.   For the actual MRI, the issue is metals and they require that you remove all jewelry (including earrings)  and garments with metals of any kind.  If you read not to wear makeup on the actual provider website, I would do what they ask.    

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I've had several full spine xrays, the patient instruction sheet said no jewelry, watches, metal on clothing, bras with underwires, hair pins.  Anything with metal.  Make up was allowed.  You can call the place where you will get the MRI and ask for an instruction sheet.

Respected Contributor

Makeup has never been mentioned prior to MRI and I've had  neck and back scans. I usually wear a pull on sports bra with no metal, and elastic waist joggers and leave jewelry at home. That way, I don't even have to change into a gown for the scan.

Of course, something may have happened to make them change policies about cosmetics and makeup. I'd be curious about what.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MRI can you wear makeup

[ Edited ]

@Desi wrote:

I was never told that. Usually your head doesn't enter the machine. I wouldn't wear magnetic lashes or a wig with metal combs, maybe no earrings just in case, but call and ask them.

@Desi 

I've had many scans and MRI. Very few where my head did not go into the machine(tube). I am guessing the MRI+ you have had must have been done with an OPEN MRI machine 

Very few imaging facilities in my area have these machines because of cost. My friend, who is an Orthopedic Micro Spinal Surgeon, does not use them because they do not show the detail as well as an enclosed MRI machine(weaker magnets). And yes, my head went inside because my last one, done by him, was done in my Lumbar Area of the Spine.

As for makeup? I seldom where it.  

Metallic lashes? And here I thought those things were glued on! I'll be a monkey's!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Desi wrote:

I was never told that. Usually your head doesn't enter the machine. I wouldn't wear magnetic lashes or a wig with metal combs, maybe no earrings just in case, but call and ask them.

@Desi 

I've had many scans and MRI. Very few where my head did not go into the machine(tube). I am guessing the MRI+ you have had must have been done with an OPEN MRI machine 

Very few imaging facilities in my area have these machines because of cost. My friend, who is an Orthopedic Micro Spinal Surgeon, does not use them because they do not show the detail as well as an enclosed MRI machine(weaker magnets). And yes, my head went inside because my last one, done by him, was done in my Lumbar Area of the Spine.

As for makeup? I seldom where it.  

Metallic lasers? And here I thought those things were glued on! I'll be a monkey's!

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn  I was wondering the same thing. I've had a few done and my head was always the first to go in.

@Desi  maybe it depends on what they were doing the MRI on. If only that were true I would like it. I can only do the "stand- up/Sit" MRI now. Nothing else.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I wasn't given any instructions but did read online that you should not  wear any makeup , deodorant , hairspray or lotions .   I realize it probably depends on the area being scanned .also it stated it could be dangerous due to metal in these items.  That's scary .  Having the cervical upper spine and lower back.    I had an MRI several years ago and wore makeup and everything ,  only had to remove underwire bra.   I'm wondering if anyone was told not to wear certain cosmetics  when you had one.

@Kitty Galore  I remember I was told not to wear these things when having a mammogram done. I've had a few of the cervical spine done. Of course the bra comes off. Come back and tell us how it went.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore Just to echo someone else, all medical places here are fragrance free so it's easier just not to bother.

Esteemed Contributor

I had one last month of my liver and I was told no make-up, lotions or deorderant....and jewelry of coarse.