Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't given any instructions but did read online that you should not  wear any makeup , deodorant , hairspray or lotions .   I realize it probably depends on the area being scanned .also it stated it could be dangerous due to metal in these items.  That's scary .  Having the cervical upper spine and lower back.    I had an MRI several years ago and wore makeup and everything ,  only had to remove underwire bra.   I'm wondering if anyone was told not to wear certain cosmetics  when you had one.

Trusted Contributor

I have had a few and have never been told to avoid any cosmetic items before.

Good luck with your procedure.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I wasn't given any instructions but did read online that you should not  wear any makeup , deodorant , hairspray or lotions .   I realize it probably depends on the area being scanned .also it stated it could be dangerous due to metal in these items.  That's scary .  Having the cervical upper spine and lower back.    I had an MRI several years ago and wore makeup and everything ,  only had to remove underwire bra.   I'm wondering if anyone was told not to wear certain cosmetics  when you had one.

I've had quite a few MRIs and all those things have never been an issue.  There has never been any discussion about them.  I've had several on lower back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have had more MRIs, etc., than I can count and have never been told no makeup.  You probably got some instructions when you made the appointment or if you have an online portal with the info though and I am sure you would be good just to follow those instructions.

Respected Contributor

I was never told that. Usually your head doesn't enter the machine. I wouldn't wear magnetic lashes or a wig with metal combs, maybe no earrings just in case, but call and ask them.

Honored Contributor

I have had 3 and worn full face makeup each time. 

Contributor

Have had a number of MRI's of the head, neck and spine.  Each time I am told no make-up.  Please double check.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I learned back in my early 30's to never wear makeup to any medical appointment. I was really, really sick, but the doctor kept telling me how good I looked. I am talented at applying my face, but I learned doctors need to see my skin as it can be an indicator of how poorly I feel.

Opthamologists don't like cosmetics coming off on their equipment. The first thing the dentist says is please use this tissue to remove your lipstick. I decided trying to impress medical personnel with my artistic makeup abilities was a waste of time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MRI can you wear makeup

[ Edited ]

Have to do a MRI every six months.

Just outside the door you leave your shoes, glasses and locker key.  Lovely fluttering gown is provided, with underpants if you are lucky.

They care about removable dental items, metal things in your body after surgery and ALL jewelry.

Best to leave things at home.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear makeup to go see my doctor, so I probably wouldn't wear it to get an MRI. Now, no anti-perspirant or hair products, that could be a problem. I do make a point of not wearing my anti-perspirant for my mammograms, but I go home and apply it immediately afterwards.