Super Contributor
I feel your pain. I flipped out during my first MRI. I find that NOT being strapped down helps, having a wash cloth over my eyes and asking the tech to talk to me a lot helps. Brain MRIs are hard as your head is put in this cage thing before going into the machine. Having an understanding tech is nice.
Respected Contributor

Really, I read all the replies and I have come to think that a lot of drs. are in denial about this. They want us to have all the tests with no human response to them.

Valued Contributor

I have had a couple of MRIs and my problem was with the noise. I have extremely good hearing. Even with ear plugs and a big muffler headset, I could hear all that banging and crashing. The last MRI was on my foot and I was not inside the machine. I still found the noise affected my equilibrium and I needed help to make it back to my DH in the waiting room. I wasn't offered any medications for the 'ordeal' by my doctor. I agree that the OP should see a different doctor to get something to help her through the MRI.

Esteemed Contributor

My mother just had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago because she has been experiencing really bad pain from her shoulder. Her doctor sent her for an xray but needed and MRI to get better details that the Xray could not get of course. She put it off for a while until the pain got so bad she had to have it done. My mother absolutely HATES having these done and her doctor told her they would give her drugs and this is completely routine.

When we showed up to the hospital where he sent her, they put an IV in her arm and gave her both versed (a relaxer) and fentanyl (a pain killer) and she was completely fine. The place that did this said it is VERY common for people to get something to relax them. THey put in a IV so she could get more medicine if she needed more while she was in there.

I absolutely agree with you OP when you say you think your doctor is lying when he said he had never heard of people getting something to relax them. Either he is living in a cave to never of heard of sedation during an MRI or he is just absolutely lying.

She said it was no problem at all to have it done with sedation and pain relief.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor
On 2/2/2015 Nicecupoftea said:

I have had a couple of MRIs and my problem was with the noise. I have extremely good hearing. Even with ear plugs and a big muffler headset, I could hear all that banging and crashing. The last MRI was on my foot and I was not inside the machine. I still found the noise affected my equilibrium and I needed help to make it back to my DH in the waiting room. I wasn't offered any medications for the 'ordeal' by my doctor. I agree that the OP should see a different doctor to get something to help her through the MRI.

I also have sensitive hearing, but the headphones were adequate for me. I could not have gone in without them, however. I think a lot of people freak out because of the loud and strange noise, but you have to keep in mind that nothing is going to happen to you. The noise is simply magnetic waves bouncing around.

I have had a few MRIs and the thing that helps me through (other than headphones) is going into a meditation. It's helpful to be totally relaxed and focused in a meditation. A couple times I almost fell asleep.

Super Contributor

The techs. administering the MRI have dealt with this a lot. Your doctor seems out of touch.

I had 2 MRI's last year, and for both, my doctor prescribed Xanax. I am claustrophobic and understand your anxiety. Your fear is real. One was for the knee and one was for the lower back. I also asked him to order the open-sided MRI. It makes a big difference to be able to see some light outside. Good techs will talk to you occasionally.

Also, as has been suggested--keep your eyes closed.

Respected Contributor

I have had to have an MRI of my lumbar spine. I am very claustrophobic. My doc ordered anesthesia to put me totally under. I was just this side of intubation. I had a dream while I i was having the MRI that I was fighting the Empire with Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo!!! I think I was seeing the lights and hearing the sounds, but I didn't care!!! The second I was done, I was awakened and my husband drove me home!!! I totally understand your situation. Ask for anesthesia, I know the Ativan and Valium won't work for me!!! Good Luck

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Contributor
My hubby came in with me and held my leg and foot. I knew if I needed help he was there.just reading this post made me anxious
Honored Contributor

sixteen, I am a former x-ray tech and was the biggest coward ever about an MRI- but did perfectly fine when I had my knees done. Last year I had to have my head/neck done & darn near freaked out. After a Xanax I pretty much calmed down but sad to say there was movement on my MRI as I was moving and didn't know it- it wasn't a big deal after all. I closed my eyes before lying down and said to the tech, "Let's do this".. didn't open them again until after. This was done in a closed MRI..

Then I had to have a CT of my head/neck which was nothing... Laid down and just let the tech do her job. So my neurosurgeon says all my follow ups will be CT's of my neck, since that's where my issue lies..

Good Luck with your MRI... a good hint, think of the words Happy Birthday and think of the words you can make from those two words.. I thought of football, the beach and good things.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

Oh Lord, I am the same way. I am going to a new neurologist tomorrow, and I know he's going to want new MRI's.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}{#emotions_dlg.w00t}