Regular Contributor

I'm not claustrophobic but I didn't like the MRI experience either. I kept my eyes closed the whole time and that helped. To me, it felt like being in a coffin which is not a good feeling.

Honored Contributor
On 2/2/2015 Drythe said:

Sorry you have this issue. I share your fear of tight places and have had several "tunnel" MRI's for migraine diagnosis. My sessions were 90 minutes long. I was offered medication, but had a class to teach afterward and so declined.

This is how I got through:

1. The tech's blindfold me (this is not an unusual practice)

2. They gave me a head phone, every time the machine shifts focus there is a pause, during which the techs would speak to me through the head phone and ask if I was OK, and tell me how much time was left. Could not have music because the focus was on my head, so the thumping was in my head.

3. They gave me an emergency panic button on a long cord which I clutched it in my hand the whole time. It helped lots just knowing I could get out if I couldn't stand any more, thankfully it was not necessary.

Very best wishes for a good outcome.

They can still play music if it's a head MRI. I listened to Magic Carpet Ride and then fell asleep, because work was crazy and the thumping MRI machine was the least stressful place I'd been all day.

Respected Contributor
I'm not claustrophobic, but MRI machines make me freak out. The last one I had took over an hour and a half. They gave me a sedative, plus earphones and covered my eyes. There was music playing in the earphone. I was in headfirst! I just tried to stay distracted and meditated. It was still hard but I got through it. I completely understand your angst. You need to get a sedative and a strong one.
Frequent Contributor
We give propofol . at my hospital all the time for MRI's. Better known as, "Michael Jackson Juice" but very safe if administered by an anesthesiologist or CRNA! I had it for my colonoscopy! Wonderful drug and you feel good when you wake up!
Honored Contributor

I am claustrophobic and had to do all the way in the MRI machine. We tried a few times but I was almost hyperventilating so they backed me out. The lady talked to me through the whole thing and I was able to get through it! I couldn't believe it. I am glad I didn't have to resort to drugs to get through it but if you have a good person administering the MRI, they should be able to do some visualization techniques to help you get through it. Good luck!

Honored Contributor
There are open mri machines, call the radiology dept in a local hospital ask if they know which hospitals or mri facilities in your area have open mri's. Hospitals do use mild sedation under certain circumstances. But that means you have to stay in the hospital for post sedation observation for anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. It's a mild sedation, it is NOT ANESTHESIA. It's pretty common, ask your doctor. Your doctor has to order the sedation and you might need preauthorization from your insurer.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I am claustrophobic and just couldn't go inside the machine, think I had a panic attack or something. My doctor prescribed a couple of-shoot now I can't recall the name of them, but they are like a muscle relaxer sleeping type of pill and it did the trick. Took them about an hour before my appt. and was able to go through with it. I am quite surprised that they aren't offering you this solution since I have heard of many people who can't get a MRI without taking something.

Regular Contributor

I freak out even in an open MRI. I always have to have a valium beforehand. The last one, the tech was very good and even lowered the temperature in the room so that I would stay cool. Also, pray! Constantly. I prayed and thought about my grandmother who has passed, and then one hand got warm as if she was holding it. Very weird, but I made it through it.

When my daughter was younger, she had pediatric MRI where they gave her a total headset and played a movie during the process. She never moved a muscle, and came through it like a trooper.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't sound strange at all to me. I am terribly claustrophobic and absolutely cannot go into one of the tubes without complete panic. I have tried the "open MRI" which for me is a misnomer. The darn thing comes down on you and you feel like you're in a wedge. It's not for me unless I am completely unconscious.

Also I don't recommend alcohol. A neighbor who has the same problem as me asked about doing this, and was gold that they could not allow someone under the influence to go into the MRI tube because they could panic and be seriously injured.

Super Contributor
So many great suggestions to investigate.....and if medication is needed, there are definitely more options than 1 mg of Ativan: good for you for changing doctors! Although I have not had any issues when I have had the closed MRIs, it can be very overwhelming. Best of luck to you and all others experiencing difficulties!