Honored Contributor

I wouldn't live with any kind of mold.  Black Mold is highly dangerous but all mold have spores that can become airborne and breathable.  Mold remediation (professionally) is very effective..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Re: MOLD - yay or nay

[ Edited ]

MOLD ROC INFO.png

This is part of the actual Home Inspection Report way back about the mold found.

I don't know if it's readable or too small print.

My PA (physicians assistant) sent a letter to the Fiduciary + Attorney to have it removed immediately, due to my major health decline when I went into the doctor's office then.

My PA also called APS yet nothing was done at all. APS came out and the Attorneys came and took photos and charged me a big amount of $$. I am under a Trust aka Trustees/fiduciaries thumb.

This property has been in our family since 1989. The prior tenent had leased it for 5 years (Aug. 2005 to approx. Sept. 2010) and trashed it badly, before I moved back about late Sept. 2010. I was not told nor informed of the bad conditions which existed.

It's all I have. There is no mortgage. But I've lived with this mold for a long time. My physician is clearly aware as are many agencies of this situation. I spend a lot of time in the ER.

I too, was told to get bleach and scrub all of it myself. I did spray bleach on the walls, but it does not go away. I will not go up into the attic where the spores are very clear/evident.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

This is not good: that dry wall and the ceilings-has to come out. The underlying wood structure is going to have to be treated.  While all this is going on, you will have to relocate temporarily: that is-if mold of the most dangerous kind-is present.

.....and then there is the issue of central air/heat and the duct work.....

Was an adequate fan installed in the BR? Perhaps not: I don't know why, but some dodge that-and it serves a purpose.

Do you know for a fact that the dry wall is original?  If it is not, you MIGHT have recourse: about ten years ago, there was a class action suit-either in Tampa or Pinellas County. The composite used in the dry wall supported mold growth.

If your insurance doesn't cover this, can your attorney assist you in getting any federal grants? I don't know if any such animals exist, but people not living in flood prone areas get storms and storm damage and long term effects.

My heart goes out to you....I would appeal for any help I could get-but you need to get out of there for the time being if you are getting chronically ill.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@violann We tried to report it to the county but they claimed they did not have a city inspector, so it would have been at our cost, we wanted to warn any new tenants but our hands were tied, we even contacted the state and they told us it was the county's resonsibility.

Respected Contributor

OMG!!! And of course, counties play stupid-I just don't get it....New schools had to be torn down-at no small cost.

Carebears,now that you are safely out of that situation, can you contact your local representative? Your local news station??? I hate to think about those poor people as I know you are bothered.....

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I read the report again-and my apologies for jumping the gun.  They are suggesting further studies which are somewhat easy to do. They will culture the mold and/fungus and identify the species and what it is sensitive to. It's a little pricey perhaps, but worth doing and knowing exactly what is there.  It could be an issue of simple decontamination vs. tearing down and ripping out-which would require hazmat precautions if the dangerous variety is found.

Get the study done: you should get a report back stating the species. Once you get the report, make several copies.

Nobody should be trying to sell you anything: remediation is a process. I would absolutely want my air ducts cleaned out even if the mold is not dangerous.  Allergist treat people all the time for mold allergies: it's making you sick, so, it is an issue.

The only thing I can think of that somebody may try to sell you is a UV light and a hepa filter for the heater/AC.  That is another topic. 

Get the cultures done: nobody is trying to rip you off.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2 Yes, I am bothered by the situation, the new tenants moved in the day after we left, have lived there now for 19 months, and I know the landlord never cleaned the mold out of the house, and the day we left it was visible on the walls in the basement and around every window, I even took pictures to prove that we were not exagerrating,  nobody wanted to listen to us, when he was showing the house we left all the blinds pulled up so the mold was clearly visible, and there was no hiding the mold on the walls in the basement, so even though the county and state refused to do anything we did what we could to expose the areas to future tenents.  And not only was there mold in the house, when it rained out the carpet in the bedroom in the basement became saturated and mushrooms actually started to grow along the baseboards and within the carpet in the middle of the room, it was a nightmare!

Honored Contributor

DH and I used to buy small estates and were offered to buy an estate from a lady (who used to work for DH) who had recently passed from cancer. We agreed and put together a team to pack and load the items we were interesed in.  When we walked into her apartment is absolutely reeked of mold.  It was on the inner walls that faced the elements!  We literally had to wear masks to be in that home.  

The lady had been struggling with cancer (I don't know the type) for a few years and I know the mold problem was around for a long time as she complained about it to her friends, etc. and tried to eliminate it but it kept coming back.

I have always thought that her cancer was (in part) being exposed day in and day out to this mold.

BTW, once the items were out of her home and stored, we realized that many of the items we purchased also smelled of mold (although were not moldy).  We had to throw away quite a lot that we were not able to remove the smell.....

It's really not good stuff....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@JyllyVanilly wrote:

MOLD ROC INFO.png

This is part of the actual Home Inspection Report way back about the mold found.

I don't know if it's readable or too small print.

My PA (physicians assistant) sent a letter to the Fiduciary + Attorney to have it removed immediately, due to my major health decline when I went into the doctor's office then.

My PA also called APS yet nothing was done at all. APS came out and the Attorneys came and took photos and charged me a big amount of $$. I am under a Trust aka Trustees/fiduciaries thumb.

This property has been in our family since 1989. The prior tenent had leased it for 5 years (Aug. 2005 to approx. Sept. 2010) and trashed it badly, before I moved back about late Sept. 2010. I was not told nor informed of the bad conditions which existed.

It's all I have. There is no mortgage. But I've lived with this mold for a long time. My physician is clearly aware as are many agencies of this situation. I spend a lot of time in the ER.

I too, was told to get bleach and scrub all of it myself. I did spray bleach on the walls, but it does not go away. I will not go up into the attic where the spores are very clear/evident.

The man who inspected the leased home said bleach doesn't work.  DH who works in another field said this also.  You need it professionally cleaned with their cleaning equipment and chemicals, even then you may have to tear out walls and remove damaged wood or underlying dirt.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all your responses. Much appreciated.

-Do Not Copy Pls-