Respected Contributor

Re: MOHS surgery right before Christmas

On 12/17/2014 only shops online said:

Wonderfulworld, I have no idea. I'm going to the appointment tomorrow with my husband and I will ask this question. In fact, I have a few questions that I want to ask. My husband will just ask the basics and be satisfied. I'm the worrier, and have already read half of the internet in search of information. This is why my husband is sound asleep and I'm online and watching TV...because my head never stops thinking, lol.

Also, thanks for the information on the sunscreen. I'm going to check that out also...for both of us...if I ever venture outside again!

I am anxious to find out what new info you get! Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

We just got home so I thought I'd give you the heads up. My husband's lesion was a combination of superficial and nodular, in a very early stage. According to the dermatologist, neither is rare. Although the nodular is the most common. He said, especially because my husband is 59...which is close to that magic 60 number...that it is a good sign that this is his first experience with a skin cancer. And, that his risk factor is that he has blond hair and blue eyes, and had multiple sunburns as a child. It has nothing to do with genetics, which was a relief to me because his father and sister died at younger ages due to internal cancers. So, as soon as I heard "cancer" I totally freaked out. I'm feeling better now.

Pretty much what your doctor said. Except that my husband's skin, at least as an adult, isn't especially easy to burn. The blond hair/blue eyes is his major risk factor. Our 2 1/2 year old grandson is very blond with blue eyes also, and I'm going to start pestering the heck out of my daughter about sun exposure, although she does use sunblock on him and keeps him covered.

The doctor also said that this type of lesion would have been biopsied years ago and probably never even thoroughly removed to the margins, because metastasis is extremely rare. However, if something like this were to be present for decades, removal would probably then involve a skin graft.

He said there's a reason God put blond hair, blue eyed people in northern climates, lol. I said that God should have given everybody darker complexions and kept us all safe from the sun. Wink

So, for the time being, he will be going back every six months for body checks. He's to use sunblock, which we all should do. And, he'll continue to keep covered when outside. Even if he goes swimming, he's supposed to keep a shirt on. He never was one to ever go out without a shirt on, so that's a good thing.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

only shops, I am so glad to hear that you are feeling reassured as do I. He was lucky that his was on his body and not his face and so smart to get it checked out so fast. Now that you know what to look for and are getting frequent checks you will know really early on if another crops up.

I guess when I retire I will have to stay up North. I bet the derms in Florida do a huge business.

Happy holidays to you both! Thanks for reporting back.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, and one other thing. He also said that when we were all growing up, the sun rays weren't as harmful as they are now. So, kids growing up today need to be especially vigilant, and he's seeing skin cancers coming in on younger and younger patients. And, that can present a risk to their lifelong health.

I'm feeling a little better about approaching that big 60 in a few years. Seems there are some real benefits. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Happy Holidays to you too.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

We buy clothing from Columbia and Sun Precautions. SPF built in.
Respected Contributor

On 12/23/2014 esmeraldagooch said: We buy clothing from Columbia and Sun Precautions. SPF built in.

Thank you for the suggestion...I never thought about sun damage through clothes but I guess I will now.

Super Contributor

wonderfulworld, I'm happy for you. Sue
Respected Contributor

On 12/23/2014 Sunshine said: wonderfulworld, I'm happy for you. Sue

Thank you Sue. I appreciate your good wishes. Happy Holiday to you!

Respected Contributor

A good wide brim hat and clothing with built in SPF... Melanoma survivor 1991. The Columbia fishing shirts have vented backs and some have vented sides for even the hottest weather. We live in Georgia where we get heat and humidity. Big oversized shirts while mowing and weed eating under the trees is a must. The man who started Sun Precautions was a melanoma survivor. Sometimes things are invented out of need and they share with others...

Respected Contributor