Respected Contributor

MOHS surgery right before Christmas

I am having a superficial multi focal basal cell removed from just above the tip of my nose. The soonest I can get in is 10 days before Christmas. I cannot put it off though. Any advice for me?

DO silicone strips or any special would care treatment or cream work well to reduce the scarring.

The office had explained to me that they cannot predict how extensive the surgery will be until they get in there.

The Surgeon (MOHS fellowship) has scheduled me for extra time because of the location of the site(gulp!). I will probably have my stitches removed a day or two before Christmas.

I am suppose to host 19 family members Christmas Eve. Should I ask someone else to do it for me?

Thanks to all who reply.

Trusted Contributor

Re: MOHS surgery right before Christmas

I have had Mohs surgery on my nose and there was hardly any scarring at all. I had to go back in 2 times before they removed everything. I only wore the bandage one day to apply pressure to the area. Good Luck to you

Jessa
Trusted Contributor

I have had Mohs surgery on my nose and there was hardly any scarring at all. I had to go back in 2 times before they removed everything. I only wore the bandage one day to apply pressure to the area. Good Luck to you

Jessa
Respected Contributor

Thanks Jessa. How long until your stitches were removed? When did you feel back to normal...ie could wash your hair, go out, etc. Did your eyes swell at all?

Trusted Contributor

I didn't need stitches...so I was back to normal in a few days. My eyes never swelled either.

Jessa
Respected Contributor

Mine was on the side of my farhead. I just had to keep the pressure bandage on overnight. Its not difficult at all.

Respected Contributor

I had the surgery 3 years ago.

The doctor was aware that I did not want a big scar on my face, and I imagine your doctor understands that no one wants that. I always followed his directions carefully as the wound healed. He gave me a cream called Scar Esthetique ("advanced scar treatment, softens old and new scars.") He can tell you if you need the silicone pads.

You sound a little panicky. Why not call the doctor's office and tell the nurse you are anxious about scaring and ask what the treatment will be for that?

You'll be fine to do the Christmas Eve dinner. You might have a bandaid on your nose, though.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies. Yes, I do feel a little panicky....it is good advice to call the office and I did twice. They have also sent a brochure which has a good but general explanation. The staff member I spoke with was pretty vague but said he scheduled extra time for me and that sometimes noses can be tricky and can require a flap or skin graft. She also said my stitches would be in 7 to 10 days which takes me right through Christmas if they are in for the 10.

I am glad to hear that they give you (or at least gave happygal).. some cream.

I am going to call and ask if I should have any kind of treatment stuff at home ready. The brochure just said Tylenol for pain.

One thing she did say is that they do work with a plastic surgeon if need be.

Thank you both for reassuring me about Christmas Eve...that part was really concerning me.I am on a cancellation list for an earlier date but they said it was doubtful because he wants the additional time.

Super Contributor

Hi. You'll do fine. I had Mohs surgery several years ago on my upper lip. I was scared to death. Luckily the Dematologist did a great job and today I can only see the scar if I'm looking into a magnifying mirror. Good luck to you.

Super Contributor

I had a MOHS surgery for a Basel cell carcinoma last year. It was on my forehead. I had stitches removed about a week later and the scarring was hardly noticeable. Just follow your doctor's instructions regarding cleaning the wound and you'll be fine!! Merry Christmas.