Honored Contributor

Migraines - we hates 'em!

Such a painful thing, I knew there were some of us here, but had no idea there were so many!

I started having them @ age 20.  Started with 5 or 6 a month, and now have 1 @ every 4 to 6 weeks. My main triggers are stress and changes in air pressure - flying or weather related, sometimes noise, flashing lights, or scent.  They start at the base of my neck and run across  my head to my eye, following the path of the Trigeminal nerve.  I have a high tolerance to pain (RA), but untreated the pain from the migraine is excruciating.  Along with them comes nausea that continues every 20 minutes for 16 to 20 hours if the pain is not alleviated.

I treat them episodically, because of medication for RA (I'm also positive for Lupus) my neuro & immunologist don't want to add any additional daily medication.  When one starts I always wait a while to see if it will go away on it's own (hahaha).  My Neuro says that is classic for migrainers, many of us tend to wait too long to medicate.  Anyway, I treat them with Imatrex injections followed in exactly 60 minutes by an Amerge tablet.

Imatrex tabs did not work for me, and the injections need the boost of the Amerge as the half-life is not that long.  This is an unusual combination.  My neuro is head of the pain/headache clinic in a large hospital and I am the only patient on this regimen.  I know it can be dangerous, and follow all the precautions.  I also use saline nasal washes and hot towels.  

Someone mentioned using a LightStem for pain.  I need to learn more about them.

Also, I want ice cream!  How much and how often?  In for that one!

Good days to all of us!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Migraines - we hates 'em!

Such a painful thing, I knew there were some of us here, but had no idea there were so many!

@I started having them @ age 20.  Started with 5 or 6 a month, and now have 1 @ every 4 to 6 weeks. My main triggers are Stress and CHANGES IN AIR PRESSURE - flying or WEATHER  related, sometimes noise, flashing lights, or STRESS.  They start at the base of my neck and run across  my head to my eye, following the path of the Trigeminal nerve.  I have a high tolerance to pain (RA), but untreated the pain from the migraine is excruciating.  Along with them comes nausea that continues every 20 minutes for 16 to 20 hours if the pain is not alleviated.

I treat them episodically, because of medication for RA (I'm also positive for Lupus) my neuro & immunologist don't want to add any additional daily medication.  When one starts I always wait a while to see if it will go away on it's own (hahaha).  My Neuro says that is classic for migrainers, many of us tend to wait too long to medicate.  Anyway, I treat them with Imatrex injections followed in exactly 60 minutes by an Amerge tablet.

Imatrex tabs did not work for me, and the injections need the boost of the Amerge as the half-life is not that long.  This is an unusual combination.  My neuro is head of the pain/headache clinic in a large hospital and I am the only patient on this regimen.  I know it can be dangerous, and follow all the precautions.  I also use saline nasal washes and hot towels.  

Someone mentioned using a LightStem for pain.  I need to learn more about them.

Good days to all of us!

@Drythe... Ice cream not only contains annato (which is a migraine causing additive, but also it causes sinus infections due to coating the nasal mucosa, so it is a no no for me. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Drythe On an iPad and am trying to finish this reply...

All capitalized words in Drythe's message are MINE. These are the same for me.

i did not know that the path of the headache you mention is same as mine and flows with the trigeminal nerve. Tegritol (a med for trigeminal nerve pain) did not work for me.

I'm always tested for Lupus and so far, all tests are negative. So sorry you suffer with this too.

Used to, I would be RXd decadron, a potent corticosteroid. Developed severe swelling of legs -- discontinued.

Was told that this is unusual to have migraines responding to a corticosteroid. FWIW! ❤️

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Drythe On an iPad and am trying to finish this reply...

All capitalized words in Drythe's message are MINE. These are the same for me.

i did not know that the path of the headache you mention is same as mine and flows with the trigeminal nerve. Tegritol (a med for trigeminal nerve pain) did not work for me.

I'm always tested for Lupus and so far, all tests are negative. So sorry you suffer with this too.

Used to, I would be RXd decadron, a potent corticosteroid. Developed severe swelling of legs -- discontinued.

Was told that this is unusual to have migraines responding to a corticosteroid. FWIW! ❤️

lovestoteach,

We do have a lot of similarities.  (Are we related?  I'm from the south and you know what they say about us.)

I have active RA and test positive for Lupus, but so far have no symptoms, which is FINE with me.

Dang!  I was hoping for a prescription for ice cream, but given my chronic sinusitis you are correct, guess that's a no.

Steroids make me feel awful!  So I always decline.

Be well!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe: On an iPad and am trying to finish this reply...

All capitalized words in Drythe's message are MINE. These symptoms are the same.

Interesting!: did not know that the path of the headache you mention is same as mine and flows with the trigeminal nerve. MDs kept asking and it was always the same story when asked about "where did the headache start."

Was told that this is unusual to have migraines that  respond to a corticosteroid. FWIW! ❤️

ETA: This RX is for ICE CREAM... to have it once in awhile!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Good days to all of us!

The vanilla ice cream must be ALL NATURAL.  In my neck of the woods that would be Breyers-breyers

Breyers vanilla has those black dots.

You take it at the FIRST sign of having a migraine.  The results are temporary but long lasting.  It takes the edge off of the migraine.

SIDEBAR:  Nasal sprays work best for me.  Stops the migraine in its tracks IF I TAKE IT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF A MIGRAINE.  I NEVER leave the house w/o my nasal sprays. 

"Pills" I only take at HOME because they take too long to work & at least I can lay down to wait for them to work and/or start on my bowl of ice cream.

My migraine side effect:  I can predict the weather better than the tv local weather man & the Weather Channel. faint

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Drythe... Ice cream not only contains annato (which is a migraine causing additive, but also it causes sinus infections due to coating the nasal mucosa, so it is a no no for me. 

The ice cream must be ALL NATURAL & VANILLA.

Breyer's incrediants:  fresh cream, sugar, milk and real flecks of vanilla bean.  That's it!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif